Re: Prawning in Victoria

Post by MUDRAT67 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:59 pm

manns and robbos port albert are good spots

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:48 pm

MUDRAT67 wrote:manns and robbos port albert are good spots

With a boat yes, without, then good luck. Care to elaborate where abouts in Port Albert is good for prawns?

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:24 am

They start around the prom and the further east the lake system the better they are. They are eastern king and school prawns,. They breed in the lakes and move north during autumn early winter. They are caught at sea from Lakes entrance all the way up the east coast. Prawns tagged at lakes entrance have been caught in northern NSW 2 months later. Mostly they exit the lake system on the ebb tides once they reach maturity. So best catching is no moon ebb tide feb to june. When Lake Tyres is closed they will remain and get quite large. Wet years are best, however wet years also correspond to algae blooms. Do not eat them when there is a bloom. Conditions this year would indicate a good prawn year. we will know by december :)
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

CremeDeLaCreme
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CremeDeLaCreme » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:38 am

well the new moon is here and it's time to go prawning!

Has anyone had any luck catching prawns this year?

Would love to know some prawning locations in Victoria? (Willing to travel 4 hours from Melbourne!)
Addicted to fishing since 1973

Brett

Post by Brett » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:43 am

Up around Lakes, would be your best bet, I have heard a whisper that there are a few about, I'm going to wait another couple of weeks myself.

re-tyred, would be the best person to ask if they are in any numbers yet, hopefully he gets on and reads this, so he can fill us in :)

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Yep plenty of prawns about. Lots of small ones and quite a few good size. Have been out on 4 nights over the last 3 weeks. Worst night was half kg of big ones for an hours dipping. 4 nights ago it was 1.5kg of mixed sizes for 2hrs. I was intentionally dipping a few smaller ones for bait. I will be going again in the next night or so, just waiting for some nicer weather. Best areas have been around flanagan island for me. Have heard there has been a few good catchs on the southern side of Cunningham arm in town. You can walk there over the foot bridge. I have caught half doz good size flounder while prawning.
There has been good catchs of bream and flathead in Cunningham arm of late (I have watched them pulling them in while I was working). I am going to give it a go this week. Maybe tomorrow.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:08 am

Went for a cpl of hours last night. Only about half KG of small prawns but 2 nice flounder. Tide as running in very hard and a very high tide. They are usually better on the run out. So might have to wait a cpl of days for the tide cycle to move a bit.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:14 am

Wind wind wind, Summer North Easter. :( I have an order from the kitchen for prawns for sushi..... Just can't get out there, took a look at midnight last night. Stepped out onto the back lawn to take a look at the lake. Trees blowing around waves on the lake, went back to bed :(

Brett

Post by Brett » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:07 am

hahahaha Where I go, I would have been able to get a feed on wind of that direction :) I've just gotta earn some travelling money first :(

sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Post by sturgeon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:07 am

I know this is an old thread. But how do you catch prawns in port Philip Bay?

Return to “Bait”