Berley For Bream in the Glenelg River?

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
Bugalugs

Berley For Bream in the Glenelg River?

Post by Bugalugs » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:56 pm

Hi folks,
just after some info if anyone uses berley for bream and what would be your suggestions?
I'm off to the Glenelg River for 6 days soon and I want to maximise my chances of getting a few fish.
Chook pellets and tuna oil is what I'm thinking, and also I'm going to try berley cages for the first time.
BUT - I'll also be flicking lots of lures at them and hoping I can land a few bream, and possibly a mulloway or two along the way as well.
Fingers crossed!
Cheers,
Neil

walk the streams

Re: Berley For Bream in the Glenelg River?

Post by walk the streams » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:33 pm

cant offer any help as such but keen to know how you get on, as im heading down there with the boat for a few nights in mid november

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:01 pm

Hey mate, I've never berleyed for bream, but don't see why it wouldn't work. But if you want to flick lures, you'r biggest advantage is being able to cover distance, so berleying won't really help you. If you're landbased, fish the flats towards the mouth. Just wander around tossing shallow diving hards or placcies, looking for little channels/drop-offs. Plenty of bream around there, and a lovely way to fish. A few school mulloway cruise those flats too, so you never know. Good luck!

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:03 pm

I'll try and let you know how we go Walk The Streams. I've been there quite a few times and it's handy to have a boat, but there's also plenty of landbased fishing spots there too. Local info is usually pretty good there. The bait and boat hire place, the pub and general store all can usually help you out.

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi Broomstick,
yeah I like that style of fishing down near the mouth, but never had much luck. I'll be trying to convince the other guys to try there again. (we do have a boat to fish from, but have driven down and done landbased near the mouth)
I was only going to be berleying up when bait fishing, not when flicking some lures around.
We would be stoked to get a few mulloway, but I realise you need to put in a lot of time to get results.
Cheers
Neil

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Bugalugs wrote:Hi Broomstick,
yeah I like that style of fishing down near the mouth, but never had much luck. I'll be trying to convince the other guys to try there again. (we do have a boat to fish from, but have driven down and done landbased near the mouth)
I was only going to be berleying up when bait fishing, not when flicking some lures around.
We would be stoked to get a few mulloway, but I realise you need to put in a lot of time to get results.
Cheers
Neil
Sounds like a good plan mate. A couple of blokes I follow on instagram who live down there have been posting lots of photos of school Jews on the flats lately, so you're in with a shot. 2-5 inch z-man grubs seem to be the lure of choice. I've only fished those flats twice, but the standout lure for me was a 75mm double clutch.

kahlua_khan

Post by kahlua_khan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:49 pm

I used to live down that way and fished a Glenelg a bit as a kid. The only issue with berley will be attracting every minnow within a five mile radius to where you're fishing. If you're flicking lures all good, but for bait it's a pain.

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:44 pm

Ah yeah - that's a good point Kahlua_Khan. You can't pick and choose which size fish berley attracts, can you? And the bigger fish are just that bit more wiser or cautious, and might hang back a bit, waiting for the right bait or lure to come along. But hopefully the scent might bring them closer.
And Broomstick - thanks for the info on the Z-man grubs. I've heard a lot about them, so perhaps I'd better get myself some. We'd be rapt just to hook into a mulloway, even if it is only a school size. I've caught quite a few up to about 5 pounds in the Hopkins at Warrnambool, but nothing so far from the Glenelg. My two mates who I am fishing with are what you would call Mulloway Virgins, so if they get one (or more) it would be awesome for them.
Thanks guys for the info. We're heading down there on Oct 5th for 6 nights so not long to go now.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:20 am

Bugalugs wrote:Hi folks,
just after some info if anyone uses berley for bream and what would be your suggestions?
I'm off to the Glenelg River for 6 days soon and I want to maximise my chances of getting a few fish.
Chook pellets and tuna oil is what I'm thinking, and also I'm going to try berley cages for the first time.
BUT - I'll also be flicking lots of lures at them and hoping I can land a few bream, and possibly a mulloway or two along the way as well.
Fingers crossed!
Cheers,
Neil
i dont know about the Glenelg river but off brighton and sandy piers the iso fishermen do very very well berlying with canned cat food mixed with water and breadcrumbs they berley up real hard

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks Dazz999 - that sounds like a good mix. I can only give it a try and see what results we get. I wont want to feed them too much berley though, or they wont be bothered with any baits I throw their way. Thanks for the recipe - much appreciated

Return to “Bait”