Has liked: 412 times

Pipis and Prejudice

Post by rb85 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:57 pm

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Pipis and Prejudice

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:30 pm

[quote="rb85"]https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pr ... p/10537448

One day at Mt Martha rocks, I saw an unfamilar van, when I went down a large group of people with implements in their hands were fossicking amongst the rocks at low tide.

I have also witnessed people collecting pippies in Port Phillip bay. Yes I did ring fisheries.

jasew3

Post by jasew3 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:47 pm

I keep on banging on how Venus bay area is getting smashed by the van load of people but nothing will be done until its too late then they will move on and smash another area .Gets me upset and angry that its happening. They should ban the taking/poaching of them in the area for a certain period of time to help with the marine fish system (maybe 2- 5 years mite deter the vans and clans from venturing down that way). ihave seem them flod the place and carry out 20 litre buckets full of them..
cheers Jason

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:10 pm

I had a similar experience at mouth Martha rocks. Saw heaps of sea urchin shells left behind...

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:40 pm

Dont think bans will stop d### heads like those

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:49 pm

Kind of think irrespective of race the infrastructure at the beach carparks in Venus bay just isn’t there to handle the amount of visitors there on weekends over summer holiday period.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:07 pm

rb85 wrote:Kind of think irrespective of race the infrastructure at the beach carparks in Venus bay just isn’t there to handle the amount of visitors there on weekends over summer holiday period.
That was my takeaway from it as well. Maybe there's a need to reduce the bag limit as well although that would affect the locals too. Either way, it was an interesting podcast
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:08 pm

Sadly this happens all along estuaries in Gippsland & very little is being done to police/manage the situation. There is a regular bus load of ppl at Mcloughlins Beach. Within 18 months they have walked through, trampled and killed off the weed beds between the 2 jetties in their endeavours. ½ of them collect the pipes while the others (to young or old) sit there to make up the numbers allowing them to rape the area of all pipis and bag limits.
Its hard not to be racist as its the same bus, same driver and same demographic of people.

At low tide, they often wade out into the narrow channel with no regard to the boats trying to get back in to the jetty.

We all need to send an email/letter to Vic Fisheries and call the 13FISH number to get fisheries to get down and inspect them as much as practically possible at any of the locations. This will help Vic Fisheries review the bag limits and spend some time watching whats going on.
quid est quod eum

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:28 pm

ratbag wrote:Sadly this happens all along estuaries in Gippsland & very little is being done to police/manage the situation. There is a regular bus load of ppl at Mcloughlins Beach. Within 18 months they have walked through, trampled and killed off the weed beds between the 2 jetties in their endeavours. ½ of them collect the pipes while the others (to young or old) sit there to make up the numbers allowing them to rape the area of all pipis and bag limits.
Its hard not to be racist as its the same bus, same driver and same demographic of people.

At low tide, they often wade out into the narrow channel with no regard to the boats trying to get back in to the jetty.

We all need to send an email/letter to Vic Fisheries and call the 13FISH number to get fisheries to get down and inspect them as much as practically possible at any of the locations. This will help Vic Fisheries review the bag limits and spend some time watching whats going on.

If theres concerns the law is being broken do just that.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:30 am

cleaning up posts

Return to “Bait”