Tuna Oil Subsitutes?

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Tuna Oil Subsitutes?

Post by croe04 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:40 pm

Hi all

Tuna oil seems to be a pretty popular fish attractant as its a component of almost every home-made berley recipe, and lots of people like to dip or soak their baits in it. I'm having a crack this arvo and I was wondering if fish or oyster sauce would be an effective substitute in absence of tuna oil? The fish sauce i have is 77% anchovy extract with hints of squid and such along with lots of salt and sugar. The oyster sauce seems like a long shot as its only 33% actual oyster and the rest is just soy beans, salt and other ingredients. Will these work? In the long run tuna oil is probably better and more cost affective but hopefully these can produce. If its not worth the time ill stick to my pro-cure. Will chuck up a report later tonight after the session

cheers

croe

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Tuna Oil Subsitutes?

Post by mazman » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:02 pm

I'm assuming you're talking for lures since you mentioned procure.

Personally I would just stick with the procure, it stays on lures extremely well. An oil based product is going to just disperse extremely quickly and just leave you with an unscented lure for later casts.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:08 pm

mazman wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:02 pm
I'm assuming you're talking for lures since you mentioned procure.

Personally I would just stick with the procure, it stays on lures extremely well. An oil based product is going to just disperse extremely quickly and just leave you with an unscented lure for later casts.
Good point. I'll be taking both lures and bait, and i've found that pro-cure works on bait just as well as lures. Possibly soaking bait would prevent the dispersion, but that would probably require a couple hours of spare time for the oil to absorb properly. Thanks for the tip

croe

dmck
Has liked: 35 times

Post by dmck » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:42 pm

A lot of tuna oils are diluted with vegetable oils, check the labels closely.
Whale oil is good.... but after you catch one its hard to get them in the blender !!!!

Return to “Bait”