are fresh water eels any good?

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
Dano

are fresh water eels any good?

Post by Dano » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:44 pm

are they any good for sharks? i found a spot that has hundreds of them and they are quite fun to catch. all 50cm+

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: are fresh water eels any good?

Post by ducky » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:52 pm

Yeah mate. Gummys love a piece of eel. I've never personally done well with it but that's not to say quality fish don't get caught on it. I'd keep the place under wraps. Go out and catch a couple before a session and use them fresh. No point taking plenty and freezing them if they are close by and easy to catch.

slinga

Post by slinga » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:12 pm

They are Short Finned Eels, once they reach a certain size they make their way to the ocean.

Excellent Gummy bait in some peoples eyes, very tough bait which lasts a long time.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:29 pm

yep great gummy bait. i usually salt them to make them even tougher. great bait when the sea lice are out. i have also caught snapper with it.

MrI-fish

Post by MrI-fish » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:49 am

Hi Tomcat, how do you present the Eel. I know a few spots where I regularly catch plenty of Eels as well and would love to turn them into some Snapper or Gummys. How big a piece of Eel are you using or do you fillet them? Not sure how to use it so generally throw all my eels back. Cheers

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:23 pm

best way to present them is to cut a slice about 10-15mm thick and pin it. As in run the hook through the top. That's how I have presented it in the past, but to be honest, I haven't caught one gummy on eel. Good luck..
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:47 pm

yeah i fillet it and pin a nice size piece. if there are any shark around they should sniff it out. for snapper i use a smaller piece put on a hook just like you would any other flesh bait.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:51 pm

I'd rather skin/gut/ flour and BBQ :dinner: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:14 pm

raco09 wrote:I haven't caught one gummy on eel. Good luck..
It's my go to gummy bait when fishing the sth/east corner of WP -- in the shallow muddy end it's a waste of time using it ( Prawn is better there )

But in places where the LJs, grass whiting and most other pickers will tear Prawn , Squid and some flesh baits off that is where eel shines

And yes I have caught many gummies on eel - in the colder weather the draftboards also take it but normaly the bait survives and can be reused for many more after unhooking the fish
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Bait”