delete

edgar po wong

Re: Fishless for the 3rd time!

Post by edgar po wong » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:34 pm

Seems a few of us are getting out and about. I usually go to Mordialloc ... look for someone catching no fish and that will be me :)

fido11

Post by fido11 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:02 pm

edgar po wong wrote:Seems a few of us are getting out and about. I usually go to Mordialloc ... look for someone catching no fish and that will be me :)

whats the best way to get to mordialloc pier?

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:08 pm

napean hwy or along Beach rd :)
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:39 am

Get the booklet "Land based fishing Guide to Port Phillip and Corio Bays."

http://www.hookedonfishing.net.au/index ... &Itemid=44

shazzagraz

Fishless for the 3rd time!

Post by shazzagraz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:52 am

edgar po wong wrote:Seems a few of us are getting out and about. I usually go to Mordialloc ... look for someone catching no fish and that will be me :)
I fished mordialloc a couple of times over summer. The first time was bloody windy out on the pier and I saw a few guys fishing the entrance of the creek, so I spoke to them and they weren't getting any bites. But I thought stuff it, it's too windy on the pier so I'll try my luck in the creek. I set up where the boats are moored and flicked around some plastics, third cast landed a nice 40cm flat head. Stayed for another hour and a half without a hit. The guys that I spoke to had been there for about 2 hours without a bite before I got there and ran over to me to see what I was using when they saw me pull up the flatty lol. That was the only fish I caught there though out of the two trips I had there over summer.

batboy

Post by batboy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Just keep trying the more times you go the luckier you'll become. Circle hooks help if you don't want to strike try Black magic kl hooks 2/0 or 3/0 which is more of a recurve hook and lets you strike without pulling bait out of fishes mouth
AB
His gravestone said RIP Killed on the way to work Fishing is much safer

j.dammo

Post by j.dammo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:52 pm

hey mate,
i am still not catching fish many times i go out. but still i dont mind not catching, go out to relax also.
what i learned over the last few years is try to find out a nice location that doesn't have much people around. you can try out many different ways to fish, and i do believe fishing is a trial and error sport.
dont stick to one spot all the time because you will always find somewhere that has better fishing.
i always use a paternoster rig size 2-4 circle hooks and a size 2-4 sinker (depending on line and rod). i always mix bait up, chicken breast is always a good choice and same with blue bait/pilchards.

thats my advice
good luck

Fishtofish

Post by Fishtofish » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:23 pm

the best and easiest way to fish in unfamiliar territory is just by chatting with the locals.hi,or hello would be the best way to get the conversation started.they holds most knowledge on whats biting and best bait to use.not even the local tackle shops knows exactly whats on besides the local.
even if you cant get em to talk,just observe what theyre using and their rig patterns.most would be more than happy for a chat and give a few pointers.
from there,plan your next trip and guaranteed you will be able to catch something.and remember that big hooks will only land big fish BUT in reality,how often or many big fish have been landed from the surrounding piers?.on the other hands,small hooks would just catch almost everything thats interested in the bait.size 6 or 8 would be ideal for whitting and hey,pinkies would jump on em as well.
just my two cents.the rest would depends on your experience.....

p/s:most of the old school locals only use heavy mono as their rigs.you can easily outfish em with flourocarbon rigs n try to go as light as possible.10lbs of quality f/c would be sufficient on most species.if you are lucky enough to hook onto a ray,play em till the line give way.easy catch n release.

vxcalais
Has liked: 3 times

Post by vxcalais » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:31 am

He is right, you do find some really rude people out on the pier. They think they own it for some reason. But at the same time, its easy to strike up a conversation most of the time. No offence but the younger ones are more keen to help. What gets me with Altona, is i dont think there is ever never less than 4 rods on the end of that pier hehe. I been there on RDO's etc and i wonder if these people even work hehe.

fido11

Post by fido11 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:42 pm

Went to mordy pier on monday for 3 hours.. just a star fish and nothing else.. Which part of the pier is best to cast?

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”