bait

shazdoggg

Re: bait

Post by shazdoggg » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:10 pm

There were a fair few slimeys or yakkas at stony point last week when I wandered down for a flick. They were under the light at the first lower landing on dusk. I was fishing for squid but judging by how fast they were swimming, my guess is they were mackeral. I realise the OP asked for PPB locations but I havent heard of any being caught there lately. Driving to stony point is about the same distance as driving to mt martha from the city.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

slinga

Post by slinga » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:24 pm

shazdoggg wrote:There were a fair few slimeys or yakkas at stony point last week when I wandered down for a flick. They were under the light at the first lower landing on dusk. I was fishing for squid but judging by how fast they were swimming, my guess is they were mackeral. I realise the OP asked for PPB locations but I havent heard of any being caught there lately. Driving to stony point is about the same distance as driving to mt martha from the city.
Pretty good place to catch them. Pilchard flickbaits work well!!
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:38 pm

shazdoggg wrote:There were a fair few slimeys or yakkas at stony point last week when I wandered down for a flick. They were under the light at the first lower landing on dusk. I was fishing for squid but judging by how fast they were swimming, my guess is they were mackeral. I realise the OP asked for PPB locations but I havent heard of any being caught there lately. Driving to stony point is about the same distance as driving to mt martha from the city.
the ramps for stkilda blackrock mordialloc etc are within 15-20mins for me hence why i wanted to go there lol and not drive to stony
Cheers Nick

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:34 pm

Hrm, stony point isnt very far for me so I might just give it a crack. Can you catch them at night? Or is it more of a daytime/dusk thing?

Would just be handy if I could pop down after work and stock up on some bait for snapper season lol

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Scraglor wrote:
Hrm, stony point isnt very far for me so I might just give it a crack. Can you catch them at night? Or is it more of a daytime/dusk thing?

Would just be handy if I could pop down after work and stock up on some bait for snapper season lol
They turn up around sorrento pier from time to time, but I wouldn't be setting my watch by them..

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:17 pm

coutta off portsea last week

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:21 pm

sandef wrote:coutta off portsea last week
Heard a lot of reports of couta down our way over the last couple of months..same as the salmon, in big numbers..

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:51 am

Scraglor wrote:

Last week was the first time Ive fished stony pier, so no authority on the subject, but Ive caught countless yakkas and slimeys at night in WP and PPB. When fishing LB, I find they usually come close to land during dusk and leave just after dawn. Exceptions to this would be mornington pier for example, where the depth is heaps deeper and you can often catch them throughout the day. Have caught plenty of mackeral during the day in boats/yak(10m+). Depending on conditions I like to fish unweighted or under a small float but sabiki rigs also work well IMO.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”