Netting in Sandringham area

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Netting in Sandringham area

Post by cobby » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:09 pm

A kayak guy had a run in with the boat a few weeks back. After a few hours fisheries confirmed it's a pro working the areas

Misheen

Post by Misheen » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:46 pm

They should ban netting in ppb as they did in wp. Who gives a toss if fish prices go up, it's mostly imported these days.

adtrac

Post by adtrac » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:43 am

Awhile ago a group was charged for doing this exact thing around carrum, looping a net out from the beach. Maybe they are at it again.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:30 am

cobby wrote:A kayak guy had a run in with the boat a few weeks back. After a few hours fisheries confirmed it's a pro working the areas
if they are pros, they should not try to hide their activities. They should turn on their lights as required.

We hear boat coming but no lights to be seen, then the rattles of chains or net sinkers hitting their boat. When we shine a light in the area we see this boat slowly moving and when close enough their hand motions give away the feeding action of net being laid in the water. We can see their net buoys floating in the surface.

No one is accusing anyone of illegal netting yet but the way this boat does it raises questions. Are they allowed to lay nets on top of the reef? :dontknow
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:55 pm

a digital camera with iso setting at 1600 with the torch or 3200 with no torch and tripod or on a rock you may get their reg no and 60x zoom

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:05 pm

sandef wrote:a digital camera with iso setting at 1600 with the torch or 3200 with no torch and tripod or on a rock you may get their reg no and 60x zoom
hand it over
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:06 pm

As far as I know they can net wherever we can fish

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:07 pm

The fact that he is doing it with no lights is the concerning bit. Why would you do that unless you were doing the dodgy? Regardless of what he is doing driving around at night with no lights is illegal and stupidly dangerous.

I cant believe fisheries would come check it out, all they would have to do is wait at his nets until he came back.

fishifingers

Post by fishifingers » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:40 pm

Just want to let you all know that I have also seen the same boat late last year doing the same during the dead of night inside St Kilda breakwater, numerous times.
I called fisheries, provided the boat reg and was told they'd look into it.
I followed up with fisheries again and as it turns out because it's a commercial operation it is an acceptable albeit unethical practice.
I would've been content had fisheries called the operator to provide their professional opinion and possibly a stern reminder that they are not the only people using the waterway.
I understand the commercial operator works hard to put a feed on his table and by fishing the shore reduces overheads, petrol etc but to the recreational fisherman and public the perception and stigma of raping our oceans, seas and waterways for an easy win is all commercial fishing brings to mind.
So if you're reading this Mr Pro with the nets in the aluminium boat fishing these areas how about being a bigger man and fishing water 90% of people don't!
Or find another job. Clearly fishing isn't your strongest attribute or you're so self absorbed you don't give a sh*t.
One final point I'd like to share, Fisheries and the DPI need to reassess what it is they also do. Clearly education isn't on top of the agenda. The damage this guy is doing with one haul of his nets I have witnessed first hand and it devastates almost everything. If you don't like your job or don't care enough to at least try make a difference then consider moving on to a different career as well.
Not being one to just point out the issues I'd be more than happy to educate Mr Pro on how to catch fish in deeper water so as not to tie up DPI resources busy enforcing licences, catch limits, stocking programs etc.
I would like to take my children out for a wade on a warm summer's night and see the same fish numbers witnessed the previous night before the nets so they can see how awesome our local waterways truly are. After all isn't that why I pay my license fees?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:08 pm

Spud gun and fire iff some shots at it.
Ts dark anyway so they won't know where and what happened.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”