what would you take?

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: what would you take?

Post by DougieK » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:18 pm

dane9092 wrote:all very helpful especially with what SP's and HardBodys and what to use and where.. as im new to lure fishing but deffs cant wait to build up a collection theres just so many to choose from ill walk in to complete angler and dont even no where to start with lures everyone says yeah they've caught something on this or that but generally not sure if its b******* and there tryna sell you or.. however theres never been a time where they have said nah not sure never caught on that every lure they have apparently caught a fish on it haha

My best advice would be to pick either a species or a location and work from there. "I want to catch a fish" isn't really any help to us to point you in the right direction. "I want to catch a bream around the docklands" at least gives us an idea of how to go about equipping you with both the gear and necessary tactics to succeed.

In my opinion, squid or salmon are the best place to start if you want to get into lure fishing.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

dane9092

Post by dane9092 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:49 pm

generally this post was an all rounder on peoples opinions and what there into and what choice they would go with.. and yes depends on what your after but generally in victoria we are lucky as theres places for all species eg bream docklands patto you fish surf theres phillip island 90 mile beach etc trout youve got eildon horsham noojee etc anything your after is always close by and not a far drive so this was generally an all rounder to give people an idea or even tips based on your experiences

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:16 pm

Only allowed to take 1 Box, I'll take Fifi, ;) cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:22 pm

dane9092 wrote:generally this post was an all rounder on peoples opinions and what there into and what choice they would go with.. and yes depends on what your after but generally in victoria we are lucky as theres places for all species eg bream docklands patto you fish surf theres phillip island 90 mile beach etc trout youve got eildon horsham noojee etc anything your after is always close by and not a far drive so this was generally an all rounder to give people an idea or even tips based on your experiences
The more you get into lure fishing, the more you will realise how broad a question is and why dougie wants more clarification on what you want to do.

You could write a book on the answer to that question, and that's just in relation to Vic waters.

Judging from it other posts u are most interested in bream at patto, so I would be having a good hard look at sloths answer. He is the docklands bream king, and I reckon his tactics would carry over. It would pay to search for his bream on lure tips post, he has written an incredibly in depth post on catching bream on lure, with the kind of info that is invaluable. After that get a couple of trips under your belt so you can ask some more pointed questions re: technique, areas etc and you will get more out of the responses.

I understand you're keen to get out and fish, but you will get so much more out of the members here once you have a few trips in, there are some real guns on here, so I'm sure you will be onto fish in no time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:50 pm

More like the donut king :)

But yep - dead right - best way is to get out there and give it a crack.

Start with a couple of recommended lures - get some fish on them and then start refining technique.

To put it in context I started breamin in docklands with just one lure which was a strike pro micro vibe in JU015TL colour. I think it took me about 3 weeks and at least a dozen sessions to get my first. I then learnt lures one at a time and only took the ones I was learning so there was no option to tie on a favourite. Generally it would take half a dozen sessions to find a pattern. It took me about nine months to start getting consistent results but I still have bad days and I still have loads to learn - getting average fish is one thing - 40cm blue lips are another league!

It's a mix of learning areas, learning fish behaviour and learning how to operate your kit. When those three come together it's really easy. Getting them to come together is the challenge:)

As dougie stated - there are easier fish to start on - but the great thing about bream is they are everywhere. Pretty much every urban system which flows into the bay holds them. They will make you want to tear your hair out at times though :)

If we get a couple of weeks of dry weather the docks will clear up and you'll get 20ft + visibility. You can walk around and sight cast to them. Hard to catch sighted fish but lots of fun trying.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”