what would you take?

dane9092

what would you take?

Post by dane9092 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:26 am

If u could only take 1 box fishing with you for the day and 1 rod and reel with one spool what would u take ? Keep in mind the box can only contain 10 hard lures and 5 diff sorts of plastics

Include colours depths species your chasing ect.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Re: what would you take?

Post by sloth » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:59 am

I only chase bream.... but I have trev, flattie and pinkie bycatch.

Depends where I'm going and the techniques I'll be using but broadly:

Wharfs/pontoon/bridges or structure fishing = example Melbourne Docklands:

6'6 2-5kg rod
8lb braid
6lb leader

SP:
2.5 Hooked on Plastics Grub
Gulp Sandworm
80mm Squidgie Wriggler
Marukyu Crab
Ecogear Bream Prawn

HB:
Cranka Crab
Austackle Shinku Sinking Stick Minnow
Strike Pro Micro Vibe
R2S Baby Vib
Lucky Craft Bevy Vibe
Strike Pro Cyber Vibes (these are blades - don't know why they call them vibes)
Various Blades
Daiwa Gekka Vibe

Rivers/open Estuary (so fishing flats, banks, channels in the 'Nong or Yarra)

7' 1-3kg rod
If I'm plastics fishing:
6lb braid
4lb leader

If I'm HB fishing:
4lb fluorocarbon straight-through

SP:
2.5 Hooked on Plastics Grub
80mm& 100mm Squidgie Wriggler
Marukyu Crab

HB:
Topwaters - Austackle Joey and Austackle Banana Boat
Creatures - Cranka Crab
Cranks - Cranka Crank Deeps and shallows
Minnows - Austackle Mud hornet/panikku
Shads - Atomic bream shad or Cranka Shad (Deeps)
Sticks - Austackle Shinku and Austackle Sugar Gliders
Blades - Berkley Bigeyes and Strike pro cyber vibes
Vibes - Strike Pro Micro and Strike Pro Hummer

Note: these cover Topwater, minnows, shads, creature, blades and crank patterns. You can use any brands but have a spread of lures that cover the water column (top to bottom) and that vary in profile.

Colours. Apart from my grubs I generally carry 4 colours in each lure type (both soft plastics and hards):

Black/dark
Natural brown
Natural Green
Clear

I match the colour to the water (so dirty water you want a dark lure, standard conditions go natural and for gin clear waters go clear).

The two above are my basic setups. I have some other stuff I do like dropshotting which means a few different things get taken. In general though although the above sounds a lot I fish light. My docklands pack for example - my lures fit into a tray the size of an iphone which goes in my pocket. I don't take the kitchen sink and I've put a lot of effort into refining my hb and sp lures down to a manageable number that I have total confidence in. I know each and every lure can catch me fish. Confidence makes a big difference :)

In general - depending on where I'm going and how I want to fish I pick a smaller selection from my larger trays which stay at home. Example - night fishing the docks I only take a few blades. Day at the docks I'll take micro vibes and a few soft plastics. You'll figure out what works when. I usually fish for a couple hours tops so taking a gazillion lures is pointless.

Lastly for context .... my SP collection (doesn't include the bio-bait lures like Gulp). This is all I ever stock - I use nothing else:

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:17 am

What more of an answer do you need than that

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:21 am

Fishing mostly ledges and beaches on the penninsula and phillip island.

Catana 902 6-8kg two piece

Pflueger supreme XT with 20lb fins, spare spool with 10lb fireline. 12lb and 20lb leader.

5 salmon slugs 40-50-65g, two squid jigs size 3-3.5 one with silver and one with pink foils, Halco 190mm shallow diver. Size 2 stumpjumper in mullet color. A large surface popper of some description, probably a willaimsons jet.

SP's 1/2-1ounce jighead. Berlkley gulp nemises 6.5 in pilchard. Berkley gulp pumpkinseed shakey shad. A large curltail grub of some kind. A whip bait of some kind and the biggest possible paddletail.

One 1.5metre length of multipurpose rope. 1 knife. 1 pliers. 1 clippers. Polarised sunnies.

Set for pretty much salmon flathead and over sized fish you're going to get on a lure off any rock ledge or beach in Vic. Will all fit into a small tacklebox comfortably in a backpack and including the rod and reel the entire outfit will weigh less than 2kg.
Last edited by DougieK on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Fishn104

Post by Fishn104 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:23 am

:good: all said there!!!
FISHING AWAKENS THE SOUL!!

Fishing Victoria Comp SPEC1516. Total: 326cm
FRESH:
Redfin 44cm. Yellow belly 39cm. Carp 81cm. Rainbow trout 33cm.

SALT: mullet 38cm. Trevally 43cm. KG Whiting 28cm. Squid 20cm.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 am

Quick note, it largely depends on what you're trying to catch and where. If you equip yourself with what i've just posted then go chasing bream or trout you're going to be dissappointed.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:27 am

dane9092 wrote:If u could only take 1 box fishing with you for the day and 1 rod and reel with one spool what would u take ? Keep in mind the box can only contain 10 hard lures and 5 diff sorts of plastics

Impossible ! it cannot be done, I wouldn't go fishing unless I can all my tackle ! :rofl:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

williwonder

Post by williwonder » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:27 am

a box of beer.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:37 am

dane9092 wrote:If u could only take 1 box fishing with you for the day and 1 rod and reel with one spool what would u take ? Keep in mind the box can only contain 10 hard lures and 5 diff sorts of plastics

I'd probably stay home and watch the telly -- or I'd be out collecting bait for when I go fishing

I do troll a black and silver lure ( XR8 rapala ) as I move from place to place and not many other HBs these pick me up some fresh bait
as for plastics rarely use them finding 3 - 8 oz jig heads arn't any fun to use any lighter would be surface poppers
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

dane9092

Post by dane9092 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:47 am

all very helpful especially with what SP's and HardBodys and what to use and where.. as im new to lure fishing but deffs cant wait to build up a collection theres just so many to choose from i'll walk in to complete angler and dont even no where to start with lures everyone says yeah they've caught something on this or that but generally not sure if its bull and they are tring to sell you or.. however theres never been a time where they have said nah not sure never caught on that every lure they have apparently caught a fish on it haha

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”