AF Reports Thread!

AVG_Fisho

AF Reports Thread!

Post by AVG_Fisho » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:51 pm

G'day all, thought i'd start a thread for my reports, Some times when i go fishing i catch fish that arent really worth making a new thread to report on each time, so i thought this would be a good idea to just post all my reports.

I'm heading out tomorrow if weather is good so report to come! :)

But a kick start reports from about a month ago when i fished with mazman, memories aren't fresh here so it might be a bit off but an interesting report.

So, mazman stayed at my house the night before the trip and we did what most normal people do, talk about rods and reels all night, getting a solid 3-4 hours of sleep.

up the next morning at aprox 4am, we had the boat hooked up and we put our gear in the boat probably waking everyone in the house.

somehow i convinced my mum to get up at 4am to take us to the boat ramp, after a quick stop at the servo for fuel, bait and ice, we arived a the ramp to see 3 trailers in the car park.

excited and keen as can be, we launched the boat and we were on our way, heading out from kannanook creek.
we knew where we wanted to go so we zoomed out to the area we had in mind and sounded, after sounding around for about an hour and not finding anything around a BIG area where we had previously caught fish, the sun started to come up, this was around 5:30.

we knew we had to be anchored up and berleying by 6:00, so i made the decision to go to another spot i had in mind, after racing over to there at full throttle we sounded around for about 5 minutes and the fish started to show up, then the sounder lit up like a Christmas tree!
We anchored up and got our berley trail going and had our baits in the water by 6:00am, with the sounder constantly showing good fish we were with high hopes, we knew the fish had been coming on the chew at around 6:30-8:30, changing a bit over the previous 6 weeks.

i cant remember the exact order of things from here on, but anyway.

after a quiet hour sitting there chatting and listening to tunes and swapping over fresh baits, i put a flathead bait rod out to see if there was any flathead around and even the flathead were quiet, anyway, me and alex were chatting about rigs, and as i was getting alex to explain how to make a certain rig to me, my flathead rod buckles over in the holder.

I jump into action and start reeling in the fish, thinking it was a big flatty at first, i got it boat side after a few runs and it turned out to be a snapper of around 4-5kg, anyway, i decided to try and lift him in by the leader forgetting that i was using 8lb leader and not 30lb, the line snapped and i lost, the fish, but it was okay, because alex got it on camera!

after that we chucked out some squid baits on our itchy twitchys and picked up a few flathead, after the action was over at 8:30 and alex was starting to feel seasick we pulled our lines in and went to start the boat when suddenly, we drained the batteries!

so theres us, sitting there in 16m of water with a boat that wont start, and i do the first ting i knew to do and called dad, the fact he has 30'yrs of experience in boats he would know the best thing to do, it was a nice day and wind was going to be low all day so there was no rush.

we got dad to see if anyone he knew was on the water who could tow us in, but sadly there wasnt.

after that he called the coast guard to come get up, they then called me, got our location and sent a police boat out to tow us back in, they said it would take 30 minutes to get to us, so we chucked out our rods and continued fishing while waiting for them, after countless flathead and 3 or so banjos and a few little pinkys i hooked something massive on my itchy twitchy.

it took one huge first run and at first i thought snapper!
it was running so hard i had to lock the drag on my little 1000 stradic to stop it from spooling me and even then it was taking line, eventually it stopped and i was able to turn it, i got about 50 meters of line back when it then took another 50, after that it was cruising and eventually i got it to the surface after fighting it for 20 minutes and getting ran around the boat, from 20 meters away it looked like a gummyshark on its back, going by what i've seen, it looked about 10kg, but i suck at guessing size.

anyway, after that it took one more big run and this time i could barley stop it, so i started palming the spool to slow it down and ended up geting snapped off.

Mind you the itchy twitchy is a 1-3kg rod and i was uing a 1000 reel, good effort i'd say, especially when rushing the fish.

after that we had to wait another 30 minutes for the police to get to us, but eventually thy got to us, and towed us back in after checking all our safety equipment and as it turns out, my tourch wasn't working, not sure how as i checked it 2 nights before.

anyway, was a good day still, cheers for reading!

i'm tired and i think i shared this report before but i dont remember it haha
Average Angling Adventures
With Specialty Fishing Products
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AVG_Fisho

Re: AF Reports Thread!

Post by AVG_Fisho » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:10 pm

Allright, todays report, Went out from kannanook creek as usual, headed to one of our flatty spots to flick plastics around, after fighting through the pinkys we got outselfs a few flathead for a feed, we then made a move to one of my faverouite spots, "SPOT AF" where we caught a few flattys and 3-35cm pinkys, had a good day keeping 8 flattys in tota from about 35-45cm
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:50 pm

you missed the squid i caught the night before
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:03 am

Good to see you fellas having fun out fishing. So where is this spot AF. I want to go there and see if I can catch something lol. Cheers

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:40 am

purple5ive wrote:Good to see you fellas having fun out fishing. So where is this spot AF. I want to go there and see if I can catch something lol. Cheers
not telling :tongue:

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:43 am

mazman wrote:you missed the squid i caught the night before
oh yeah, we had a quick fish the night before we went on the snapper trip and mazman caught a nice 21 or 31 cm squid

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:54 pm

AVG_Fisho wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Good to see you fellas having fun out fishing. So where is this spot AF. I want to go there and see if I can catch something lol. Cheers
Ok. Fair enough.... ill find my own like I did last time..

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:41 pm

purple5ive wrote:
AVG_Fisho wrote:
After i told you 5 spots ahaha

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:56 pm

AVG_Fisho wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
AVG_Fisho wrote:
You mentioned 3 all of which was common knowledge. And which I didnt fish anyway. Regardless after I found out the new spot I told you where it was as soon as I worked out where it was. Not after asking 20 times lol...
Ive given you plenty of info ever since you have been on this forum. And the results are speaking for themselves
Anyway this is you report thread. Lets leave it at that...
Good luck on the big ones. Even better if you land them on that shitty daiwa rod...

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:39 pm

purple5ive wrote:
AVG_Fisho wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
AVG_Fisho wrote:
You mentioned 3 all of which was common knowledge. And which I didnt fish anyway. Regardless after I found out the new spot I told you where it was as soon as I worked out where it was. Not after asking 20 times lol...
Ive given you plenty of info ever since you have been on this forum. And the results are speaking for themselves
Anyway this is you report thread. Lets leave it at that...
Good luck on the big ones. Even better if you land them on that shitty daiwa rod...
Well they produce fish! :)

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”