Eventual Werribee South Fishing report 07/02/15

cazof88

Eventual Werribee South Fishing report 07/02/15

Post by cazof88 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:25 pm

Hey all,

So yesterday I planned on heading our a fish, the initial plan was to head to St Leonard's but due to a day of disaster we ended up at Werribee.
My boat had just been services for it 200hours that morning so I picked it up at around 10 then headed straight for St Leonard's. Everything was going smoothly till suddenly the trailer had a blow out on the western ring road. Luckily we didn't jackknife and were able to get to the side of the freeway safely. That was the start of my disastrous day!
So we attempted to change to tire on the trailer but found we didn't have the correct sized tool to remove the bolts. We tried to use the jack tool to get it off but were still unable to, so gave my marine mechanic a call (Shoutout to Michael from Mic's Marine Services, TOP BLOKE!!) and he had a friend coming through the area that could give us a hand. So his mates rocked up and gave us a hand undoing the tire and putting the spare on, which was much appreciated. So we thought we were finally ready to head out for a fish but as we went to start the car the damn battery was flat! Long story short about 2 hours of waiting for roadside assistance to come and put a new batter in the car (as the old one was dead and wouldn't hold a charge so didn't want to risk being stuck at the ramp and not being able to start).

Finally we were ready to go but as it was so late, around about 3 at this stage, we decided we'd just head out to Werribee as we didn't have long to fish as we were heading out at night.
We managed to launch from Werribee South without incident and headed out for a fish. We caught about 10 extremely undersized pinkies form a random spot we decided to try. The pinkies put a surprising amount of fight for something so small and can't wait to catch my first real snapper one day. We also landed an undersized flatty that went straight back as well.
We moved spots out to a little deeper and ended up with just a banjo. I just purchased some snorkeling/spearfishing gear that morning too so decided to jump in for a dive while it was still relatively warm. I attempted to dive down to the bottom (18 feet according to the sounder) but failed miserably a few times. We spotted a jellyfish (anyone know if they're poisonous) in the water so that was my sign to get the hell out. Still a bit of fun trying to dive and will work on trying to get down deeper as I'd love to be able to spearfish and try for abalone/scallops.
All in all the day started out terrible but ended in a bit of fun. I'm really enjoying being out on the water even if we're not catching fish.

adamk

Re: Eventual Werribee South Fishing report 07/02/15

Post by adamk » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:51 pm

if it was me i would have seen it as a sign to go back home lol

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:19 pm

Love your persistence when you need to fish anything is easily overcome.

cazof88

Post by cazof88 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:12 pm

lol thanks guys, there is no way that after all of what I had to go through that I wasn't going to go for a fish! Even though the end result wasn't amazing still had a great time on the water so was worth it for me

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:36 pm

Solid effort to wet a line
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Bhaivn

Post by Bhaivn » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:48 pm

Thats a dedicated fisherman, I'd think most of us would go to extreme measures to wet a line.. I know I would of done the same thing. Haha good work mate

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”