Maribyrnong report

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Maribyrnong report

Post by Broomstick » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:39 pm

G'day guys,
I fished the 'nong today with GTShoon (Cam) and although we didn't catch a heap of fish, it was still an interesting sesh and one I thought was worth sharing. We arrived at our spot mid afternoon and were greeted with clear skies and clear water:

Unfortunately, it was also blowing an absolute gale. We considered moving to a more sheltered location but decided we'd at least have a few casts and hope the wind died down (it didn't). I started tossing around a plastic while Cam opted for a hard body, and after a few follows from little bream, lots of timid taps, and one 10cm bream that I dropped at the bank, my plastic was absolutely belted. This fish peeled off some serious line and after an extremely spirited fight, this guy popped up (excuse the nail polish):

A nice little pinky in the low 30s. Man these guys punch above their weight. Not the bream we were hoping for, but a nice start. I continued tossing the plastic around for another half an hour or so for a few half-hearted taps, before deciding to change to a hard body. And second cast I was on:

Only a little fella, but it's always nice to get the target species. After releasing this guy the weather took a turn for the worst - the wind got even stronger (if that was even possible), the temperature dropped about 10 degrees, and some very ominous clouds moved in. So we decided to move to somewhere a little more sheltered:

Not the most picturesque spot, but at least it was dry. After about half an hour of fruitless flicking I noticed a northern pacific seastar sitting in the shallows next to a wooden log, so I did what any other idiot would do - I walked out onto the log and tried to grab it. And of course, I fell in:

Nothing worse than wet socks. But I got the bastard (man I hate these things):

This spot was absolutely dead and the weather had cleared up a little, so we decided to head back to the first spot for the last of the light. The dead dog in a bag also wasn't adding to this spot's appeal:

Unfortunately the cold front seemed to have shut the fish down, and we couldn't raise a scale. But just as we were about to call it quits, Cam had a touch. And I couldn't believe what he pulled out of the water:

A squid! In the Maribyrnong. On an sx40. You were right Cam - you are good at catching squid! And with that we decided to call it a day.

Cheers!

AVG_Fisho

Re: Maribyrnong report

Post by AVG_Fisho » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:28 am

awesome report!

Cam did the impossible with that squid!
Average Angling Adventures
With Specialty Fishing Products
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:23 am

:rocking_report: as usual Broomstick good work to both of you. Note: try to stay on land when landbased fishing, you seem to end up getting wet a fair bit, :lol: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:48 am

Squid?? Should've posted this in the Metro Surprise thread! The Nong's been throwing up all sorts lately. A 40+cm flathead was caught next to the Racecourse recently.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:34 am

Great report n pics.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:52 am

Good report guys. And nice nail polish hahahaha.. bit of a bummer about that dog. Hate seeing things like that. Would have ruined my day for sure...
Cheers

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:38 am

Thanks guys
purple5ive wrote:Good report guys. And nice nail polish hahahaha.. bit of a bummer about that dog. Hate seeing things like that. Would have ruined my day for sure...
Cheers
Haha purple, when a pretty girls asks if you want your nails done, you always say yes.

And yeah the dog sucked, fu&%ing people

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:39 am

davek wrote::rocking_report: as usual Broomstick good work to both of you. Note: try to stay on land when landbased fishing, you seem to end up getting wet a fair bit, :lol: cheers davo
Haha cheers Davo. I really am making a habit out of it…might have to start wearing waders everywhere I go

Larksy88

Post by Larksy88 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:56 am

Top report again mate!

Cam the squid master!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:45 am

Great read sounded like a few laughs, pity about the dog some people have no compassion.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”