help needed please

cozza8686

help needed please

Post by cozza8686 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi everyone.
Some of you may already know from my introduction that i am new to fishing.
My son is turning 7 next week and has requested fishing gear as a present and to go fishing for his birthday. As it is a week day and the other kids will be at school i was wondering if anyone knows of a good landbased spot to take him for a few hours morning to arvo for a fish.
He enjoys catching flathead atm.
Thanks in advance for any help :)
:reel:
CoZzA

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: help needed please

Post by DougieK » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:38 pm

Where are you located mate?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:42 pm

cozza8686 wrote:Hi everyone.
Some of you may already know from my introduction that i am new to fishing.
My son is turning 7 next week and has requested fishing gear as a present and to go fishing for his birthday. As it is a week day and the other kids will be at school i was wondering if anyone knows of a good landbased spot to take him for a few hours morning to arvo for a fish.
He enjoys catching flathead atm.
Thanks in advance for any help :)
:reel:
CoZzA
Personally, if you really want to catch fish, I'd go to a trout farm. I use to take my kids there when they were little.

Perhaps, if you want to do salt, try targeting gar fish, best to ask at the local tackle store, also obtain a copy of the Land based fishing guide for Port Phillip and Corio bays.

azkay

Post by azkay » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:14 pm

I just had a look at your introduction, noticed you travel around Geelong. St Helen's in Geelong is a nice family friendly place. On its day can produce pinkies, flathead and whiting. There is also bathroom facilities and a playground for the kids..
Az.

cozza8686

Post by cozza8686 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:16 pm

Im in mernda.
We usually head up to geelong/queenscliffe etc. But thats a bit far for us during the week.
We have a few fishing books etc but they all state the obvious overcrowded places.
We have been to the trout farm before but that was expensive and boring as it was over in 5 mins.
After a good days fishing for his birthday. :)

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:54 pm

If you want to fish freshwater there are quite a few options. The first is lake Eildon either around Bonnie Doon where the yellowbelly & reddies have been going well for a few months now. There is also Yarrambat lake which is only a few minutes away and you will get trout & redfin from there. Another option which my kids love doing is going down to the Maribyrnong around The anglers tavern at low tide and catch the crabs around the rocks and then start fishing with them as the tide comes back in. We have caught some nice bream this way.

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Dano

Post by Dano » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote: Personally, if you really want to catch fish, I'd go to a trout farm. I use to take my kids there when they were little.
+1 for trout farm. the trouts are crazy, you dont even need bait on your hook to catch them.

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:23 pm

Cozza, which day next week is his birthday? You never know, a member here might have a couple of spots on a boat free ..... :thumbsup:

cozza8686

Post by cozza8686 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:45 pm

kaotay wrote:Cozza, which day next week is his birthday? You never know, a member here might have a couple of spots on a boat free ..... :thumbsup:

His birthday is the 25th.
There is 3 of us to go so its alot to ask. We r trying to save for a boat hire to take him out :) so fingers crossed that happens soon. But we r going this weekend landbased somewhere and he really wants to go on his birthday so im giving him the day off school. Lol

cozza8686

Post by cozza8686 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:03 am

DougieK wrote:Where are you located mate?

In mernda. But dont wanna take him river fishing really. Prefer the ocean.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”