Carrum 23rd April

vinalf

Carrum 23rd April

Post by vinalf » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:58 pm

Thursday 23rd report! Carrum

Have not reported for a while so thought I might get it going again, even if it is a negative!!

Headed out from Patto at 9am. Was looking for pinkies and went to the 18m mark. Sounded around but very few marks came up and only small ones at that. Gave it a try anyway. Squid was the bait and undersized pinkies was the result. Landed over a dozen with only one 1 going legal. I put him back as well seeing it wasn't enough for a feed!

Came in toward Seaford 12m and tried that. A couple more promising marks but no joy on getting a bite.

Headed back toward Patto and decided to drift in close for flatties. Managed 1 on a SP.

So came home with nothing after 4 hrs but still great day out!

Cheers!

:haha2:

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Carrum 23rd April

Post by BIG GAV » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:01 pm

undersized still better than nothing.. and even no fish beats work...
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Flathead37

Post by Flathead37 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:27 pm

The little pinkies seem more ravenous than ever for this time of year vinalf I fish mainly along Mt Martha -Frankston inshore reefs and every bait , SP or troll lure gets eaten . Good to see I guess , just have to sort through em to get one to eat Cheers Mick

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:32 pm

what lures are you guys trolling for the pinkies, id like to try that for a change

Jeff67

Post by Jeff67 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:07 pm

I used this today for the 1st time and got 4 undersize pinkies in 200m after having it out for about 20 seconds over reefs out from Oliver's Hill in 6-7m, Sebile Rattsler VLL Very Long Lip Floating Fishing Lure, dives to about 20ft

Cheers

Flathead37

Post by Flathead37 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:19 pm

yeah the sebile's work well, but my favourite is a flats rat made by Killalure ,then an old Rapala with the steel bib in blue mackerel not sure if they still sell em . Change the trebles over to in line singles and troll away. Have picked up snapper,flathead, snook ,squid, cutties, leatheries ,salmon, tailor and others along those inshore reefs it's good fun. Cheers Mick

Mikey87

Post by Mikey87 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:54 pm

Have had massive success trolling for snapper up in Moreton Bay using Barra style lures (Wilson Slappers are awesome for it). Can't see any reason they wouldn't do just as well down here.

vinalf

Post by vinalf » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:35 pm

Mikey87 wrote:Have had massive success trolling for snapper up in Moreton Bay using Barra style lures (Wilson Slappers are awesome for it). Can't see any reason they wouldn't do just as well down here.
Hi
Have read of some reports of trolling for snapper in PPB but it seems the oddity. And I think the water temp has dropped to the point that all you would do is burn fuel for little result. Although on 2nd thoughts there are salmon around and it would probably pick up those as well.

Cheers
:thumbsup:

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”