Where to go?

Jdware95

Where to go?

Post by Jdware95 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:50 pm

Hey guys,

Just after some advice. Going to hit the Mornington Peninsula on Tuesday during the day. Would love to get into some whiting and collect some mullet or small salmon for bait for future use.

Which pier would be my best bet to get into some fun action? I know the piers are inconsistent at best but a couple of whiting and some bait collection would be awesome.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Where to go?

Post by DougieK » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:04 am

Hard to get all in the same day. Whiting during the day land based can be difficult. I'd fish Sorrento or Couta Bay. Mullet and small sambo's balcolmbe beach is the go. If you must be on a pier the first half of Frankston might go well.

Berley hard for the mullet.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Jdware95

Post by Jdware95 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:43 am

DougieK wrote:Hard to get all in the same day. Whiting during the day land based can be difficult. I'd fish Sorrento or Couta Bay. Mullet and small sambo's balcolmbe beach is the go. If you must be on a pier the first half of Frankston might go well.

Berley hard for the mullet.
Thanks Dougie!

Doesn't have to be a pier at all, haven't fished land based down there so im not sure where to start. Appreciated :)

drewb

Post by drewb » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:20 am

There's small salmon around mills beach at the moment. You're also a chance for flattys and an outside chance of a whiting I guess.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:24 am

Quite a few piers have some big schools of mullet underneath them, maybe find one known for its whiting and see if you can draw some mullet out with burley
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Jdware95

Post by Jdware95 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:13 am

4liters wrote:Quite a few piers have some big schools of mullet underneath them, maybe find one known for its whiting and see if you can draw some mullet out with burley
I was thinking Seaford might be worth a look, probably the closest to where I live. But happy to drive to where the fish are ;)

I've never actually had much success burleying up fish in coastal regions as by the time I've got a slick going it's been drawn away from where I'm fishing and someone else has reaped the rewards instead :oops:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:23 pm

I've only ever fished at mt Martha rocks on that side of the bay so I don't know for sure but I think the more southern parts like portsea and Sorrento are the better whiting areas.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:32 pm

Werrible south but its a bit of a trip
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:36 pm

Jdware95 wrote:
4liters wrote:Quite a few piers have some big schools of mullet underneath them, maybe find one known for its whiting and see if you can draw some mullet out with burley
I was thinking Seaford might be worth a look, probably the closest to where I live. But happy to drive to where the fish are ;)

I've never actually had much success burleying up fish in coastal regions as by the time I've got a slick going it's been drawn away from where I'm fishing and someone else has reaped the rewards instead :oops:
I was at Seaford pier not that long ago and saw them pulling in a few gars from the top right corner :)

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”