What are your go to options for PPB winter?

rodderslw

What are your go to options for PPB winter?

Post by rodderslw » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:11 am

Depressed that autumn is over. What are good fishing options for PPB winter? Im thinking of chasing some bigger squid this winter and salmon in the southern end and maybe some winter pinkies in corio bay . Hate the idea of not using the boat all winter. Any other options worth trying? Gummies? Winter whiting?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: What are your go to options for PPB winter?

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:28 am

It's not PPB but I'm thinking I might give Balnarring a bash for winter whiting, try offshore at Woolamai for some flathead in deep water or if the weather permits chase tuna at Portland.

I'm interested to hear wha others might be up to as well, as my winter fishing last year was underwhelming to say the least.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:36 am

Dont really use the boat in PPB over winter, heading up to portland tonight and the boat has a sleep over for the next few months at Heywood.
In the past i have done alright on the squid and whiting at St leonards but winter for me is usually Jew fishing in the Metro rivers and Trout around ballarat.

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:49 am

For me over winter its usually mulloway in metro rivers land based, bay trouts/salmon Altona to port Melbourne land based and boat, squid Altona to point cook boat, pinkies black rock to port Melbourne boat, garfish land based and boat, Geelong is good option as well during winter and I'll be doing plenty of surf fishing as well and also queenscliff and Barwon river trevally boat and landbased, all good options over winter.
Last edited by Buckle&scream on Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:02 am

rodderslw wrote:Depressed that autumn is over. What are good fishing options for PPB winter? Im thinking of chasing some bigger squid this winter and salmon in the southern end and maybe some winter pinkies in corio bay . Hate the idea of not using the boat all winter. Any other options worth trying? Gummies? Winter whiting?
Why arent you using the boat in winter?
if we have good days like this whole week is, then i dont see why not.

squid, salmon and pinkies would be the targets for me. and some winter bream (gippsland)
mulloway another option too.

rodderslw

Post by rodderslw » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:18 pm

Yes i hate the idea of not using the boat during winter. I know some guys won't bother till snapper season rolls around. I try and get out when i can...today looks awesome but im at work : ( . Just looking for good options in PPB during this time i mainly use jigs, lures and plastics.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Big squid down south. Big Gummies in the channels. Big Snapper out deep and Corio. Whiting St Leonards. Pinkies black rock. Plenty more to target too

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:49 pm

Some great settled weather over winter and the ramps are quite, squid, salmon,whiting flathead in pub. Snapper if you can handle the cold o/night in Corio bay, the bigger gummies move into westernport. Tuna Portland,port fairy and Warrnambool.
There is always somewhere to fish just depends on the weather your window of opportunity is smaller.
My mates are out today whilst I am stuck at work and they have bagged out on squid off indented head they are now drifting for flathead.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:36 pm

Plenty of gars n salmon at corio bay.
Decent big snapper around docklans port melb
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:44 pm

rodderslw wrote:Yes i hate the idea of not using the boat during winter. I know some guys won't bother till snapper season rolls around. I try and get out when i can...today looks awesome but im at work : ( . Just looking for good options in PPB during this time i mainly use jigs, lures and plastics.
yeah today is a top day, alas i am also working.
where are you located, or usually fish.
i also am a lure fisherman, plastics, hards, blades, jigs etc etc
im generally fishing mornington or blackrock.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”