Need help catching baitfish ;s

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Need help catching baitfish ;s

Post by 4liters » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Basti wrote:definitely plenty in the tarwin. I see them all the time when fishing for perch.
Ever hear of anything bigger and silver coming out of there?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:59 pm

4liters wrote:
Basti wrote:definitely plenty in the tarwin. I see them all the time when fishing for perch.
Ever hear of anything bigger and silver coming out of there?
a few reports of bust offs and very few landed, they're definitely in there but don't seem to be large numbers of them
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:55 pm

talk to the tackle shop owner in venus bay. he reckons they are definitely present (i don't see why they wouldn't be) and after describing a bust off to him, he thought it was likely a small jew and not a large perch like i assumed.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:51 pm

If you expect to catch livies after dark, you will struggle. They are too busy watching their tails, than being interested in a feed. Early morning or late arvo are the better times to target them, and burley is a must. Now that winter is upon us, the run of fresh dirty water in the systems (rivers/creeks etc) can make bait collection tough. It wouldn't be the first time I have gone to Barwon Heads in the morn for bait, to be fished in the metro rivers that evening. You do what you gotta do. Jewie fishing can be as addictive as ice, but is certainly much healthier to the body and soul. Do the hard yards and you will be rewarded. The harder you have to work for them, the bigger high you will get when everything comes together and that silver beast eventually slides into the net. Dedication, respect, and the art of "thinking like a fish" is a necessity imo. Best of luck!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:42 am

My uncle use to have a clear plastic box in the shallows. 40cm square and 20cm deep. He had a whole in the top about 15cm diameter. He would put bread into and then sink it to about 1 to 2 foot under water and bait fish up to 15cm would swim in

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:12 am

I made my own out of a Tupperware container from kmart. I've had a mullet school around it but none found their way in. Also just be aware that vic regulations say that the entrance hole has to be a maximum of 5cm across

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:46 am

Basti wrote:I made my own out of a Tupperware container from kmart. I've had a mullet school around it but none found their way in. Also just be aware that vic regulations say that the entrance hole has to be a maximum of 5cm across

He was living in NSW.
I wasn't a wear of the regs in vic

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”