Tuna port fairy

Born2fish

Tuna port fairy

Post by Born2fish » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:13 am

Went port fairy yesterday with purple5ive for he's first tuna trip. Arrived 7 am trolling by 730 first hook up 9 am
With purple5ive landing he's first and the biggest of the day est 30 my 27-30 kg is well depth was 40-50m xwraps did the damage water temp 18.3
Was a really good day happy for purple5ive getting he's first congratulations buddy tuna were very flighty yesterday found them in the colder water all tuna towards Julia Percy Island.
Attachments
DSC_0421.JPG
DSC_0430.JPG
DSC_0432.JPG
DSC_0440.JPG
Last edited by Born2fish on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

ChrisAbout

Re: Tuna port fairy

Post by ChrisAbout » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:25 am

Hey dude, I saw your boat at the ramp yesterday. Well done btw.

Born2fish

Post by Born2fish » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:27 am

Hahaha did u mate what was Ur boat Cheers mate
Last edited by Born2fish on Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Born2fish

Post by Born2fish » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:27 am

Did you get em

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:55 am

Great report mate! Nice pics :thumbsup:

Born2fish

Post by Born2fish » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:59 am

Cheers mate

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:12 am

Nicely done!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:36 am

Thanks once again for talking me out and ticking off that tuna on the list for me.
It was quite a bit lumpy. And first fidh coming in an hours of trolling. I didn't want to pick up the reel cause of inexperience so i let the skipper grab it so atleast we had a fish on board. The fish gave him a very good workout taking line multiple times. We finally had him near the boat. Now the next problem I've never gaffed a fish before so took over the rod and skipper gaffed the fish.

Next fish came an hour after and this time i grabbed it. I was hoping for the spinning gear to get hit. Or atleast the overhead with the level wind. But no had to be the charter special. Damn i hate overheads with a passion. So the slog began. This fish didn't fight as hard as the first one. So i was lucky and skipper called it for a smaller fish. 2 runs later and lots cursing and uneven winds on the charter special we had the fish near the boat and it was bigger than the first one. Nice gaff by the skipper and its on board.

Now i will say this make sure you are semi fit when attempting tuna. My legs and hands were shaking and i was running out of puff on this small fish. Combine that with a dislike of overheads and i musy say im very lucky to land this fish.
Skipper was very helpfull in guiding me and it wouldn't have been possible without him intervening every now and then and guiding the line into the overhead the right way add it started to bunch up as well as encouraging me to give the fish some stick and show him who os boss haha.
I would have done better on a spinning outfit but you can't predict what the gosh will take.
Im walking sideways now with all that rolling around in the swell. But the boat handled it very well indeed.
Bit sore allover. But will do it again no worries.

Cheers

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:37 am

Good going guys - hoping to give them another go this month -- still trying for my first by kayak

saw heaps sunning them selfs on Julia reef Portland and between the ship anchorage and Julia over Australia day W/E but none would play the game
a lot of paddling but sooner on later I'll get one to hook up
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:42 am

Good fish guys, worth the trip, cheers davo :a_goodjob:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”