Where to catch squid, at westside of Port Phillip bay

Longshankhooks
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Where to catch squid, at westside of Port Phillip bay

Post by Longshankhooks » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 pm

JasonAsianfishing wrote:Hi, I want to catch squid around westside of Port Phillip bay at the pier. Could you please tell me the location to catch squid. My current location in my mind is Werribee river pier, since I'm near the location.
Have not caught a squid yet but from reading you can find squid in reef areas. I think you can look at the sattelite image to find reef.

Longshankhooks
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Longshankhooks » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:30 pm

:fish22:
JasonAsianfishing wrote:Hi, I want to catch squid around westside of Port Phillip bay at the pier. Could you please tell me the location to catch squid. My current location in my mind is Werribee river pier, since I'm near the location.
Have not caught a squid yet but from reading you can find squid in reef areas. I think you can look at the sattelite image to find reef.

ashw126

Post by ashw126 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:37 pm

A-a-ron wrote:
ashw126 wrote:
A-a-ron wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Queenscliff pier is another good one on that side.
Welcome to the forum :)
Be lucky to get a spot down there the past few weeks I’ve heard. european poles lined up everywhere and blokes bagging out And then continuing to fish. Few fights have happed as well as people have tried to get a spot only to be abused.
I was there from about 12-5pm on Saturday, quite a few people around, including 4 older guys with 4 rods each, but no one seemed to have any issues finding a spot to fish. I saw 1 guy catch 1 fish but seemed dead quiet apart from that.

I don't know what its normally like there as this was my first time back into fishing since I was a kid 15+ years ago, but there was plenty of squid ink on the ground which got my hopes up.
Must’ve been a good time, saw a video of couple days ago there was least 20 poles out and reports bloke were bagging, dropping them at the car and bagging again continuously with mates.
I'm glad it wasn't like that when I was there (even though there were no fish biting) because being new to it I don't know if there's certain etiquette etc with regards to taking up room, and being nervous about crossing lines with other people etc so find crowded places a bit daunting.

critch

Post by critch » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:24 am

ashw126 wrote:
A-a-ron wrote:
ashw126 wrote:
A-a-ron wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Queenscliff pier is another good one on that side.
Welcome to the forum :)
Be lucky to get a spot down there the past few weeks I’ve heard. european poles lined up everywhere and blokes bagging out And then continuing to fish. Few fights have happed as well as people have tried to get a spot only to be abused.
I was there from about 12-5pm on Saturday, quite a few people around, including 4 older guys with 4 rods each, but no one seemed to have any issues finding a spot to fish. I saw 1 guy catch 1 fish but seemed dead quiet apart from that.

I don't know what its normally like there as this was my first time back into fishing since I was a kid 15+ years ago, but there was plenty of squid ink on the ground which got my hopes up.
Must’ve been a good time, saw a video of couple days ago there was least 20 poles out and reports bloke were bagging, dropping them at the car and bagging again continuously with mates.
I'm glad it wasn't like that when I was there (even though there were no fish biting) because being new to it I don't know if there's certain etiquette etc with regards to taking up room, and being nervous about crossing lines with other people etc so find crowded places a bit daunting.
I agree, as a bit of a newbie I find myself really conscious of giving people lots of room and not giving the people who look like they know what they are doing any reason to get agro. That said, most people I've come across have been pretty good.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”