Fishing reports

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Fishing reports

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:30 pm

Sometimes when I read some fishing reports, it like visiting another world.

This report by Steve Cooper claims;
"SURF fishers are enjoying a salmon bonanza along Victoria's surf beaches."

Mind you I haven't fished "From Mallacoota in East Gippsland around the coast to Bridgewater in the southwest, salmon are being caught in good numbers." and apart from 2 fishless attempts at williamson's beach, I haven't fished other east gippsland beaches.

then there is

"Squid to more than 2kg are being caught in Lonsdale and Nepean Bays, and from Blairgowrie and Portsea piers."

I have fished both Blairgowrie and Portsea piers and haven't landed a single squid.

Sure I know squid and salmon come and go, and to be successful a person has to be there at the right time, using the right technique and bait.

Generally fishing reports are yesterdays news. For example a person can spend all day at Gunna and be fishless, leave as someone else arrives and they could bag out in 30 minutes.

fishhead

Re: Fishing reports

Post by fishhead » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:29 pm

You're so right Wolly. It happened to all of us.
BUT, its only make us more determined.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work.

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:49 pm

fishhead wrote:You're so right Wolly. It happened to all of us.
BUT, its only make us more determined.
Word. :thumbsup:
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:40 pm

and you are still surprised? Everytime I go fishing, people tell me "you should have been here yesterday". Now I tell them the same thing even if I catch nothing. :tongue:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:37 am

Fish-cador wrote:and you are still surprised? Everytime I go fishing, people tell me "you should have been here yesterday". Now I tell them the same thing even if I catch nothing. :tongue:
The end of the last century, I was fishing with my father, at Talbingo, we constantly bagged out. Nobody else in the caravan park had caught a thing.

One of those times when it all comes together.

RIX83

Post by RIX83 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:07 pm

i reckon its a conspiracy!!

i catch F* ALL.... ALL OF THE TIME!!!

i might take up beer making.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:09 pm

I can tell you where to get salmon at the moment, you just have to dodge security all the time lol

RIX83

Post by RIX83 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:10 pm

no wait!

i think published fishing reports a written by the same bloke who write those erotic story's in the stick books!!! and sit in a office rambling fantasies!!

LOL has to be!!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:06 pm

July 16th, Saturday. NICE WEATHER! :super: :woohoo:

Went to Portsea for some surf fishing in London Bridge area. Nice gutters, waves not an issue. Fished the high tide. BIG seaweeds! :shocker:

Using only 1 rod, in 3 hours of fishing, I got 6 sambos up to 500 grams each and dropped a few in the breakers. Met a guy in the carpark with some monsters. My fish were minnows compared to what he got. Using 2 hands to hold the fish with thumbs touching, my middle fingers cant touch each other. That's how big the girt was. It was probably 3 kilos easy with his smallest catch safe within 1 kilo mark. Bugger, how did he snag those big ones? :dontknow

Went to Rye pier for some fun after the surf session. SPs were out in force. :fishing: There were about 6 of us spinning using SP and when the school of salmon came, it was chaos. The other anglers were casting and reeling like mad to catch as much fish as possible. I thought they were nuts. I took my time and enjoyed the fun. Then the fish disappeared. The action was over in less than 10 minutes. Now I know why they fished like maniacs. The old man told me that the salmon always arrive around 5PM-530PM, stay for a short period then disappear. The salmon was not big, only around 27cm but good fun on light tackle. I landed 2 from the pier, dropped about 6. The rest of the maniacs had about 10 each. A closer look at their jigs, they were using small jigs. They even cut their SP to make them smaller. I was using something too big for the size of the fish. Will be be back again when the weather settles.

No squid in Rye pier.

Next trip's weapon:

2 x surf gear
1 x spin gear with smaller jigs and SP.

Any news from Blairgowrie marina? Are the sambos around?

Went to port melbourne pier this afternoon, July 17. No hits on SP after 1 hours of casting. Any reports from Mordi?
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:46 pm

All reports are that the Salmon are thick around Blairgowrie Marina, so much so, that a couple of blokes were nailing them from the beach(in the deep hole, where the dredge was last year).

Nice report and good luck on your next trip.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”