Blairgowrie/Sorrento/Portsea 18hrs of FISHING!!

shazdoggg

Re: Blairgowrie/Sorrento/Portsea 18hrs of FISHING!!

Post by shazdoggg » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Last edited by shazdoggg on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:07 pm

as i told you in another post i am well aware of the law :)
and i just said. i stay as close as i can so means ill be at boarder line of that legal limit ;)
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:56 pm

vinhii, are the sambos still around? planning to go there tomorrow
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Fish-cador wrote:vinhii, are the sambos still around? planning to go there tomorrow
hay fish, im not too sure,.. i havnt been down there recently ( stuck at work Bangg Bangg )
So maybe give it a go?

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:32 pm

will leave 430AM and wait for the school to burst the surface in B'gowrie. I also prepared some heavy stuff to try to snag that shark in portsea back beach in the afternoon. I hope its a gummy.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:38 pm

Fish-cador wrote:will leave 430AM and wait for the school to burst the surface in B'gowrie. I also prepared some heavy stuff to try to snag that shark in portsea back beach in the afternoon. I hope its a gummy.
hrmss that sounds sickkk wish i couldve joined yah, goodluck! be sure to caught heaps! .. from the last time i was there , the seal chased them in at around 8.30-9am thats around the time i dived..

Lemme know how you go!!

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:46 pm

Prepared everything last night. Bait checked, cleaned the reels, etc. I also made heavy leaders for the shark that was cruising the surf last time. I was convinced it's a gummy so no wire leader this time, 130lb mono leader to give me a fighting chance against the rocks , 6/0 hooks. I was feeling good and positive that I will have a good time and get my bag. I made a list of what to load in the car - on 2 separate post it pages - waders, extra heavy duty rod holder for the shark, hard body lures, SP, metal slugs, etc, etc. Hit the sack 12AM last night, 4 hours of sleep and was on the road 430AM.

the tools:
3 x surf rods with shimano reels, 1 with 20 lb braid , 1 with 30lb braid and one with 65 lbs braid (for the shark!)
2 x light spin gear for the salmon in B'gowrie. I hate changing lures so I prefer to use multiple rods
1 x Shimano Starlo Stix 9 foot shore spin for metal slugs
Bait - freshly caught squid, blue bait. I planned to catch the fresh salmon for gummy bait. Will use the squid if needed.

just before I reach Frankston, I looked back at the surf rods and I only saw 2 rod holders. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: What else could be missing - the Bloody waders was not in the car. :cussing: :cussing: :wall: :wall: :wall: The culprit - one of the post it notes fell off and I totally forgot I had 2 of them.

Arrived in B'gowrie 6AM - the whole mob was there waiting for the salmon - no show from 6AM - 930AM. Left to grab something to bite and went back to gowrie around 11AM - the charter boats were in the marina looking for the salmon - they also left disappointed. That place is cursed! ZERO fish, ZERO squid.

Went to Rye tackle shop to buy waders. Bad quality stuff down there not paying $75 for some piece of crap. Found a nice one for $120 bucks. Pulled out my plastic only to find out they dont have the right size. Imagine they only have size 8. Who the hell will buy that size 8 waders? An angler with amputated toes? :whoh:

Saw a friend in Rye and told me to come back to Rye pier at dusk as the sambos are always around before it gets dark. Nice info.

Went to Portsea without waders. I managed to dodge the bullet and stayed dry until this angler beside me came and showed me something..... then I got wet while looking at the stuff he was showing me. :cussing: Managed 5 fish from the surf, 2 on bait, 3 from metal slugs. No suitable rod holder means I did not attempt for the sharkie.

Went to Rye after surf fishing. Dozens of anglers were armed with spin gears. Metals and SP were flying here and there. No fireworks, the salmon did not come - bloody divers. There were more divers than fish - ZERO fish from Rye. :cussing:

I now have a total of 4 early morning trips already this month alone and at least 1000 KM travelled chasing the bloody lowly salmon - all for the fun of catching these speedsters on spin gear. :cussing: I will NEVER EVER trade my sleep again for any chance of catching salmon early in the morning from any place - NEVER again! :protest: :protest:

For the record, from garage to garage, my round trip took 15 hours and 250 km on the trip meter - all for 5 fish. :angryfire:
Last edited by Fish-cador on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
====
Words of wisdom:
====

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:50 pm

:sleepy1:
====
Words of wisdom:
====

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:07 am

Loool dayummmm!! thats bad luck man lol.. 4 trips consisting of 250km lol is that all? you got it lucky i gotta travel 250km each trip just to get to those locations..

But badluck to hear you only got 5 fish during that whole fishing trip, did you try morning rocks? or Mt martha? or just around portsea/rye

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:03 am

Yeah, I have also been there and covered a lot of k's to try and find fish that were biting, sometimes it is luck being in the right place at the right time.

Like for example, blairgowie where the salmon may or maynot come in close to shore.

Been fishing off of frankston pier and have spent many fishless days on that pier, then one day a ravenous pack of piranha pinkies arrived and it was none stop action for many hours.

Been there when the salmon came in, went home to the rod, and by the time I returned they had left. So now I always have a rod or two in the car.

Have driven all the way to Gunnamatta, fished for many hours and not caught a thing. :dontknow

Drove down to venus bay around 150 k's caught a few salmon and one gummy then turned around and drove home again.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”