cheaters W/E 20-21/8/11

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

cheaters W/E 20-21/8/11

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:59 pm

did another gummy bash from lang lang with 4 other yakkers for vyak on sat the 20th

arrived about 8.00am around the same time as gary and mal after the normal chat and setup we headed in the direction of steve and lucky jack. they were both sitting out the front of lang lang beach in the channel
it seams these 2 had an early start about 5.00 am to catch some small salmon and to get a head start on catching rock cod - there were heaps of these slimmy critters about

we all moved into our special spots ( that weren't real special today ) mal picked up a couple of small but size fish fairly early that were returned
myself I had a small window where I pulled a 93 cm fish ( first keeper )and while I was attending to it on of my other rods was on so holding the fish down with my feet - not as easy as it sounds
I pulled my second keeper just over a meter I got 1 more small and prob size fish that of cause was returned

every one moved around trying both deep and shallow marks but it was not much help with the scorers going to sleep

mal got 1 more small gummy late in the arvo again returned

it wasn't bad on the water again today the wind got up a bit - not enough to worry anyone
a slow day in the jan jerrup area but thats fishing

sunday the 21st I with 3 other punters slide down to Woolamai on the Island for a bash off the beach
no fish came our way but we did feed a lot of crabs
a magic day on the beach though a few fish would have made it better

that life

cheater
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

MISTAKOOL

Re: cheaters W/E 20-21/8/11

Post by MISTAKOOL » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:29 pm

cheater, what bait did the larger Gummys take?

We haven't had much success in the area lately with fresh squid strips.....

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:38 pm

Prawns, from coles. It's all cheater uses know I think

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:05 am

Brett wrote:Prawns, from coles. It's all cheater uses know I think

about 95 % of the time its food grade banana prawn - if nothing is biting or I'm fishing deeper water I will try a bit of squid or better still some fresh fish steaks

we know that the prawns work on all the shallow areas ( mud banks )from corinella to lang lang
and beleve it because they are searching out crabs - prawn must smell like crab to a gummy

hope that is some help -
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

RIX83

Post by RIX83 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Ever had a scare in the yak Cheater??

a "knower" underneth??

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:30 pm

RIX83 wrote:Ever had a scare in the yak Cheater??

a "knower" underneth??
no never had any reason to worry - think about its more dangerous driving to and from a fishing trip

I use 80 lb leader on gummys as those that have caught these pocket rockets know how at time they can knock the leader around
its been biten off a few times by things with teeth - never got to see them

I was fishing for gummys one day in 1.2 meters of water ( you are lucky to see 30 cm though the water there )with mates and had a hook up and small straight run then it came straight back .I could feel light line weight the whole way back
then it was under my yak and I couldn't get it off the bottom
I had as much weight applied as I could with a 8 kg set up and ping the leader broke ( 80 lb )
there were teeth marks along 15 cm from the biten off end

dont know what it was my guess was a large 7 gill but who knows we never got to see it
My kayak PBs

Cheater

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”