Fishing report and 10kilo+ fish.

shazdoggg

Re: Fishing report and 10kilo+ fish.

Post by shazdoggg » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:20 pm

5ubzero wrote:
complete-anglerz-12 wrote:where is a photo of the jew
Pissing down rain, I didn't bother taking a photo. Nothing special lol
You took a photo of a stinking banjo(yes its big but they are as common as flies) and didnt take a pic of of the jewie(even undersized is worth a pic IMO) :doh1: :doh1: :doh1:
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

5ubzero

Post by 5ubzero » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:07 am

shazdoggg wrote:
5ubzero wrote:
You took a photo of a stinking banjo(yes its big but they are as common as flies) and didnt take a pic of of the jewie(even undersized is worth a pic IMO) :doh1: :doh1: :doh1:
Why is the banjo stinking? its probably around 12kg, fights harder than any snapper I have seen. Taste better than a mulloway in my opinion
Never seen a 12kg banjo or any of that size.

Whats big deal about a mulloway, I have caught like 4 in the past 3days and don't bother doing a fishijng report about them, because they are nothing special. People say they are rare, maybe if they understand where to fish for them and put in the hours its not so rare.

I knew I had a snapper or a mulloway or gummy on my other lines, but I didn't care because this banjo is a true monster of a fish.
Made me more happy than any fish I have ever caught. so it deserves a photo.

5ubzero

Post by 5ubzero » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:12 am

ALso I dnno if this banjo breaths air ? but I left him all night, and after like 7hours.
No joke the banjo was moving his body, by him self. he was in a bucket with no water.
Was it nerves or can he last that long being alive.

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:42 am

It has a bad rep because sometimes (often) they are a dead weight, and most have never worked out how to prepare them properly. But a big banjo foul hooked can provide good sport. So good, I've seen experienced fishos go red in the face when they fight one in believing in all seriousness that they have a good size jewie, gummy or snapper on. Pumping and winding like a champion and surrounded by fellow anglers and the designated net/gaff man looking for color in the water, is it silver, pink or grey??? then heaps of laughter as they pull up ... A BANJO!
Well done landing this one on your own, in the dark, on slippery rocks in the rain, likely with fingers numb from the cold after being soaked all night. After hours in the dark with no bites, this would've had your heart racing.
A Melbourne jewie is a prize catch to many, who haven't yet cracked the code. Some have gone to the grave without catching one. Banjos are common and routinely thrown back. Just offering some perspective on some earlier posts.
They do stay alive for long, particularly the larger ones, though I've BCF'd them much sooner than 7 hrs. (Bleed Chill Freeze)

5ubzero

Post by 5ubzero » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:10 am

kaotay wrote:It has a bad rep because sometimes (often) they are a dead weight, and most have never worked out how to prepare them properly. But a big banjo foul hooked can provide good sport. So good, I've seen experienced fishos go red in the face when they fight one in believing in all seriousness that they have a good size jewie, gummy or snapper on. Pumping and winding like a champion and surrounded by fellow anglers and the designated net/gaff man looking for color in the water, is it silver, pink or grey??? then heaps of laughter as they pull up ... A BANJO!
Well done landing this one on your own, in the dark, on slippery rocks in the rain, likely with fingers numb from the cold after being soaked all night. After hours in the dark with no bites, this would've had your heart racing.
A Melbourne jewie is a prize catch to many, who haven't yet cracked the code. Some have gone to the grave without catching one. Banjos are common and routinely thrown back. Just offering some perspective on some earlier posts.
They do stay alive for long, particularly the larger ones, though I've BCF'd them much sooner than 7 hrs. (Bleed Chill Freeze)
That's how this banjo was, it was just slightly hooked on the tail.
and I was pulling him backwards.
2ND HOOK was snapped off.

I thought he was a snapper or gummy, he done the exsat same thing as the snapper I caught 5.5kg, Just way heavier.
Towards the end I realised it felt like a submarine.
Then saw the tail(thinking its a gummy)then the body a banjo! -_-.
None the less, this fish was powerful lol

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:58 am

Yup. Seen one hauled in backwards, foul hooked by it's gonads. Wasn't a happy chappy.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:42 am

5ubzero wrote:
shazdoggg wrote:
5ubzero wrote:
Why is the banjo stinking? its probably around 12kg, fights harder than any snapper I have seen. Taste better than a mulloway in my opinion
Never seen a 12kg banjo or any of that size.

Whats big deal about a mulloway, I have caught like 4 in the past 3days and don't bother doing a fishijng report about them, because they are nothing special. People say they are rare, maybe if they understand where to fish for them and put in the hours its not so rare.

I knew I had a snapper or a mulloway or gummy on my other lines, but I didn't care because this banjo is a true monster of a fish.
Made me more happy than any fish I have ever caught. so it deserves a photo.
Your banjo was foul hooked, hence why it "fights harder than any snapper I have seen". As mentioned they are generally considered a pest fish as the yield of meat is relatively low compared to other fish. Well done on catching 4 mulloway in 3 days!! Any size to them?? Ive caught a few mulloway during the years and yes your right if you do fish an area where they are schooling its not rare to get a few a sesh on consecutive days. I have eaten jewies from the yarra and they taste pretty damm good(tried sashimi aswell). Would rate it better than most PPB fish! Ive also caught countless banjos but know theyre characteristic fight well enough now, when I hook up to one. Im happy for you that you're happy that you got such a big banjo!! Clearly its a milestone in your piscatorial journey and enjoy the moment! I apolgise if my earlier post took the shine off your capture.

ps. For next time, can I suggest killing the banjo shark humanely rather than let it suffocate in air for hours on end. Google a technique called 'iki-jime' which is the japanese art of brain spiking fish. Admittedly, I have never tried it on rays(banjos is a ray(fiddler) not a shark) but im sure it would work.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

karln89

Post by karln89 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:58 pm

hahaha great report mate, I was in stitches reading this haha, cheers
Catching nothing and still having an awesome time

snapper hunter

Post by snapper hunter » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:50 pm

Yeah Banjos are great eating!

Everyone should take them home and eat them from now on.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Thu May 12, 2016 2:22 pm

I fished up in SA earlier in the year and had 5 Banjo's over 10 kilos, the biggest being 13.5 Kilo.
All fish weighed.
Had a 15 kilo Eagle ray in the mix as well.

Was fishing whole tommy ruff off a beach.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”