fishing lights on hooks

SFP Chick

Re: fishing lights on hooks

Post by SFP Chick » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:54 pm

TrevKing wrote:
5ubzero wrote:
Would it improve my catch for snapper and other fish?
Might improve your catch for moths and insects. :P ;)

Nah but in all seriousness, I reckon its worth a try.

IMHO everything is worth a try.

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:18 pm

i bought some strobe type lights for fishing from ebay last year. i put them on my leaders just above the hook. when it gets wet it flashes a led light. i used it on one of my 4 rods last year. i did catch a few pinkies and one good snapper with it. so im sure that light attracts the fish. the night that i used the strobe i caught more fish on that rod than the others. it really surprised me that it worked since the light is soooo bright on the thing. i forgot all about the thing until this post. i need to order some more i guess lol.

Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:36 pm

Shove one of the glow sticks into the bait?
Luminous-Prawn-Shrimp-.png
Luminous-Prawn-Shrimp-.png (195.16 KiB) Viewed 708 times
Abuthen

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:11 am

that luminous prawn is very deceiving. in eBay, they look very nice. When I bought some, they were crap quality.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:36 am

Fish-cador wrote:that luminous prawn is very deceiving. in eBay, they look very nice. When I bought some, they were crap quality.
Did you try them out? Just wondering if squid might be attracted ..
Abuthen

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:35 am

i had a $2 squid jig that flashed red when it got wet. quite bright. It was quite handy for casting as you could see where it went, and when it hit the bottom in shallower water. didn't catch any squid though. However, being cheaply made, within 5 min, the water got inside and it wouldn't stop flashing. I now have a clear pink jig with rusty batteries inside. :doh1:

I reckon blue lights would work best, as most marine animals seem to glow blue (going by the Discovery channel at least lol)

vinalf

Post by vinalf » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:34 am

Some time ago I built a submersible light to attract squid and it worked in a fashion. You could certainly see a lot more and it attracted more fish so Yes, I would say that any form of light helps for squid but I am not so sure for Snapper.
With regard to snapper I was thinking of using one of those home lasers that have various patterns to shine down into the water so that the lights flickers and reflects off matter in the water. I am hoping that the moving and widespread light show does better than a fixed light and will give the impression of lots of small fish.
Once I get fitted I will report back.

Oh yeah, and if you check out the facts, Green light in Salt water gives the greatest penetration and is more effective than even white light.

Regards

aussie_fisho

Post by aussie_fisho » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:32 pm

I don't see the point of them, but if your interested they have glow in the dark hooks.
Attachments
image.jpg
Here fishy fishy.......

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”