soft plastics port melb HELP

5ubzero

soft plastics port melb HELP

Post by 5ubzero » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:57 pm

Im very new to soft plastics. Only lure fishing I have done is mainly for trout.

I understand the basics. Cast your lure out. Wait for line to get slack, Flick and reel in slack line and wait for line to get slack again.
STaying on the bottom. continue process.

How ever I have trouble with the jig head sizes, and what types of soft plastics.

1)Is there a good chance of catching, walking around lagoon, kerferd or st Kilda pier Tossing out soft plastics for hopefully a flathead.

2)Also would walking along the sand and casting for flatty work, or is it just to shallow?

3)What size jig heads, type of jig heads and hooks do you guys recommend to get down the depths quicker, And what soft plastics are ur best.

biggar

Re: soft plastics port melb HELP

Post by biggar » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:08 pm

1/8 size jig head is a good all-round size for landbased in ppb
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:25 am

All of my success with SP's has been with nuclear chicken GULPS in either shrimp or shad, or the double tailed worms that SFP chick sells for flathead.

The jighead should be the lightest you can get without losing it in the current.

You don't need a soft plastics rod or anything like that, just use your trout gear.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:30 am

Question 1: yes
Question 2: yes and also walk in the water upto knee deep
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:58 am

I was lucky enough to snag a 44cm flatty from st kilda pier last summer on a 3 inch grub with a football head. I took a noobie mate with me and he got a big porcupine fish on a doa prawn. I know its a pest fish, but he was so stoked. We chucked it back and it played dead for a minute and all the passerbys were like, "you killed, you killed it"! Sure enough when they left the fish swam off :rofl: We were only there for a cpl of hrs and it was just after lunchtime on high tide.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:00 am

I did it for the first time the other day at flinders. Spent about an hour walking the flats flicking out plastics and hards. I found I got better cast distance with the hards, as a result I've since bought a few deeper diving suspending minnows that I can bump off the bottom. It was a lot of fun actually. Only thing I caught was a toady lol

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:11 am

there flats at flinders lol, where about is it if you dont mine me asking..
one of the best flats fishing i ever did was in NSW, its so much fun i wishe we had similar systems here..

with the plastics - try a turtleback worm from gulp in the pumkinseed colour, on a 1/8th jighead size 1 hook. cast out let it hit the bottom and just bounce it off the bottom slowly, should catch a flathead or pinky if they are around.

ducky

Post by ducky » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:28 am

Next to the pier at low tide. You can walk out and comfortably cast to the weed edges. Had a few salmon or whiting chase the lure at one point. They darted off about when the lure was 6-7m's away from me. My guess would be juvi salmon.

5ubzero

Post by 5ubzero » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:54 am

Thanks for the replies guys, wil head down to bcf when I have time to get some gear.

ducky

Post by ducky » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:04 pm

Head to a smaller tackle shop and ask the question to the blokes working there. 99% of the time BCF workers know bugger all. It's generally the smaller ones that have knowledgable staff

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”