fishing report... i guess.. lol

MaxFA

Re: fishing report... i guess.. lol

Post by MaxFA » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:54 pm

Can someone please help me out :) ?
I'm going fishing tomorrow, But im not sure what pier ? Somewhere around Port Phillip Bay. Can someone tell me a good pier. and what bait and tackle I should use ?
It would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks

squiddy

Post by squiddy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:35 pm

MaxFA wrote:Can someone please help me out :) ?
I'm going fishing tomorrow, But im not sure what pier ? Somewhere around Port Phillip Bay. Can someone tell me a good pier. and what bait and tackle I should use ?
It would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks
i always like mornington for the nice variety of fish... lots of gar (silverfish or prawn), plenty of pinkies up for 40cm (pilchard or squid or fresh garfish.. even silver whiting), some trevalli, even the occasional shark.. and some squid being caught now.... saw 4 or 5 king fish just swimming around a pier pylon but wouldnt bite any lures or bait.. mate ended up spearing one in the head! :lolf: seen some kootas and pike as well.. even if ur lucky if u go in the shallows some whiting or flatties... as i say.. AWESOME variety
otherwise i would say maybe stony point if u wanna go the same kinda distance... and its good fishin out there

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:48 pm

St Kilda, Kerferd and Lagoon will keep you busy attending to your rods around sunset (7PM - 9PM). Use rod bells and hear Santa Claus coming. :-) Heaps of pinkies mostly 26-27cm with some legal up to 35 cm in between. Good fun if you have kids to entertain. Pillies to fresh calamari are producing some fish. When it gets dark, the sea lice come out and kill the fun.....

I called 13FISH last Friday to report an old fart keeping small pinkies but as usual, the officers were busy somewhere else. They did however guaranteed me that they will visit these 3 piers frequently these days due to the good run of pinkies.

Yellow tail (scad) are thick on these piers. Use berley and they will come.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

squiddy

Post by squiddy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:23 pm

mmm i have noticed a few people taking pretty small lookin pinkies.. not good..
and yea theres alot of yellowtail around mornington as well.. good for bait i guess... its kinda annoying when ur tryin to get garfish and they come along! :cussing:

sal.fonzi

Post by sal.fonzi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:30 pm

squiddy wrote:mmm i have noticed a few people taking pretty small lookin pinkies.. not good..
and yea theres alot of yellowtail around mornington as well.. good for bait i guess... its kinda annoying when ur tryin to get garfish and they come along! :cussing:
13fish needs more officers it sounds like, yellow tails r great when targeting gar for snapper bait collection, i have heard they are pretty good to eat too but haven't tried them myself.

squiddy

Post by squiddy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:01 am

sal.fonzi wrote:
squiddy wrote:mmm i have noticed a few people taking pretty small lookin pinkies.. not good..
13fish needs more officers it sounds like, yellow tails r great when targeting gar for snapper bait collection, i have heard they are pretty good to eat too but haven't tried them myself.

yeh so have i.. heard they r ok to eat but some have told me dont bother just use them as bait... apparently they r hecktik bottom feeders and they arent really white flesh.. they r more of a black flesh n taste dirty... so yeh i just use them as bait... but i would rather gar as snapper bait any day

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”