Scraglors non rhyming fishing reports

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Scraglors non rhyming fishing reports

Post by poodoo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:59 pm

Basti wrote:I've seen it mentioned on here that those no fishing signs are not official fisheries signs, and its only to keep people from snagging the boats. I haven't verified this
Yeah its not a marine park as it says so you can fish on that side, just need to be careful with the boats.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:15 am

Thanks guys, I was pretty sure that was the case, but wanted to double check. Seemed a bit dodgy they would make what is essentially a car park for boats a "Marine Sanctuary"

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:26 am

^ This is correct. At first I thought it was just fisherman being uncooperative, but there is no marine park there at all.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:39 pm

Mordialloc - 23/04/14

So the old man and I decided to take to boat out for a couple of hours after work tonight seeing as the weather was meant to play ball. Had to be back in by 8:30, and didnt get out until 5:30, so only had a couple of hours, but still, better than sitting at home.

Conditions were perfect, with the bay almost glassed out when we headed in, and a great sunset to boot.

We sounded up a couple of arches, and dropped anchor at 14m, and berleyed hard, hoping for a late season snapper, but it wasnt to be, after an hour or so we had pulled in one undersize flatty, so we decided to pull the pick and move in close for a couple of squid. On the way in we saw what you could sort of call a drop off, or as close as you get in PPB, so we had a sound around, and saw heaps of bait floating about so figured we would give it a crack in about 10m.

Not a lot of action for the first half hour, but as it got closer to the tide change things picked up. Got some nice sized flatties, up to 45cm, with pretty much everything that came on board being over 35cm. Sorta nice not to be plagued by little ones. Things were starting to look promising, and one of my rods buckled over, but sadly it was just a banjo. A few pinkies came up to be thrown back too. Left the fish biting, with the distinct feeling that it could have been a cracker night, but sadly we both start work early.

Final tally was 18 flatties between 35 and 45cm. Dinner sorted tomorrow for my household, the parents and my brother. Not what we went out for, but a great night for it, and to be honest, a feed of decent size flatties is right up there with anything else you can catch in the bay.

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Mon May 12, 2014 8:29 pm

Mornington - 10/5/14
Hi Guys,

So we launched out of mornington on saturday arvo. We decided to try in close first before we head out deep, much to my delight as I love targeting reef species as well as squid. Within 5 minutes of setting anchor it was on. 5 rods were screaming, a school of sambos (which my old man hasnt caught before) then it was cruisy for a while with 25 - 32cm cm pinkies coming aboard, but neither of us want to keep pinkies that size, so we threw them back.

about half an hour later, the sambo school came back through, and mayhem ensued again, out of 6 rods, 5 were buckled. I had spent the last 6 months trying to convince him to go in close for sambos on the entertainment factor without love, but I think he is sold now. We both had multiple reels screaming to contend with, and we ended up landing 4 of the 6 fish on (luckily for me, he dropped the 2)

Even without anything else happening it had been a great night amoungst the rain and wind, and it went dead calm, for a baller sunset. we sat it out for the next hour, with undersize pinkies coming in thick and fast. We decided to pull anchor, but the ritual is to have a coffee before we do, and as we were mid cup, the usual thing happened and one of my rods loaded up big time. Thanks to a bit of knowledge from the forum we narrowed it down to an eagle ray, while we were dealing with the first line, a second one took one of the other rods, but the second dropper on the paternoster caught the anchor rope and broke off.

we moved out to the 18mtr line after that and brought in about 15x 32-45cm flatties, along with 3x just under sized gummies and banjos galore.

final tally was;

6x sambos to 42cm
9x pinkies 15cm - 32cm
18x flatties up to 44cm
3x banjos
2x small gummies

all in all, a great night out

justamug

Post by justamug » Mon May 12, 2014 8:40 pm

Mate, how awesome is that!! We'll done
"How much deeper would the ocean be if sponges didn't live there"?
- Steven Wright

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Mon May 12, 2014 9:32 pm

cheers :) just for the record, only the flatties and sambos came home with us. everything else went back

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon May 12, 2014 9:56 pm

Awesome session by the sound of it ...well done.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Mon May 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Thanks bowl. Was a good night out on the bay :)

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Mon May 12, 2014 10:40 pm

Sounds Like a Good day.
Average Angling Adventures
With Specialty Fishing Products
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”