Killing Toadfish for no reason

did you know it was illegal to kill toad fish in victoria waters if not eating them

Poll ended at Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:38 pm

Yes
44%
No
56%
unsure of the rules as the fishing guide has it tucked in the back of the book and i didn't get that far
No votes

Total votes: 16

Fish-Hunter

Re: Killing Toadfish for no reason

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:40 am

I agree that killing toadies or Banjo's etc is WRONG , anglers must do the right thing & return these creatures back unharmed . i still can remember the days fishing in the late 70's & early 80's on piers & it seemed everyone just stabbed em in the head & threw in back in :( , also those days anglers would take cricket score catches of fish "as there was no bag limits or licences & no education for most anglers" . smh

stevenbourke

Post by stevenbourke » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:14 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:bugger em, they steal pippi after pippi from me. pippi's arent cheap. 1 good throw against the water surface and game over. you tell them to stop stealing my bait and ill stop giving them a migraine
r

I'm new on here so if your joking fair enough but if your serious about what your doing then you clearly have no respect for animals and clearly give fisherman a bad reputation and don't forget that killing these little buggers or slamming them into the water in front of someone who might want to fight the rights of fisherman because of witness to these cruel acts may just ruin fishing for the future. but i suppose you only do it whilst no one else is watching hero!
Acts of cruelty like what you say you have done and admitted should be dealt with harshly by the law. just because as part of your fishing day you lose a few pippies to them, if you feel compelled to kill it.
Someone report this guy to the authorities for admitting to an act of cruelty to animals.

Beno

Post by Beno » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:19 pm

stevenbourke wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:bugger em, they steal pippi after pippi from me. pippi's arent cheap. 1 good throw against the water surface and game over. you tell them to stop stealing my bait and ill stop giving them a migraine
r

I'm new on here so if your joking fair enough but if your serious about what your doing then you clearly have no respect for animals and clearly give fisherman a bad reputation and don't forget that killing these little buggers or slamming them into the water in front of someone who might want to fight the rights of fisherman because of witness to these cruel acts may just ruin fishing for the future. but i suppose you only do it whilst no one else is watching hero!
Acts of cruelty like what you say you have done and admitted should be dealt with harshly by the law. just because as part of your fishing day you lose a few pippies to them, if you feel compelled to kill it.
Someone report this guy to the authorities for admitting to an act of cruelty to animals.
Steven you need to calm down, there will be no reporting of this without proof. No photo has been shown and there is no hard evidence. This is a forum for peoples opinions not a court of law. You are only starting an argument.

Go ahead and point your view but pointing out to someone to be reported without solid evidence is just wrong, especially if you are telling other people to do the dirty work.
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stevenbourke

Post by stevenbourke » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Mate I realise you a moderator and great you step in when needed but maybe you should step in when people are saying things that make fisherman look like heartless cruel killers like in his last post
Also as for giving legal advice, An admission of an act of cruelty is as open and shut as it gets
If I go to court and I confess to murder on a site like this. Then it will play out as evidence in court. I'm just annoyed that people still think this way.

stevenbourke

Post by stevenbourke » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:50 pm

Anyway your right I shouldn't suggest someone call the authorities.
I do realise that people have different opinions to me and I'm merely trying help stop what I see on a daily basis and yet I have never called the authorities. I've just put the fish back and said that's illegal or something. All good I'm just annoyed that wen though it's illegal and cruel someone would post that knowing it makes us look bad and it is bad
Cheers

Beno

Post by Beno » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:05 pm

No worries Steven, good to see you have cleared it up :thumbsup:
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

queen fish

Post by queen fish » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:44 am

:water: Well I didn't know it was illegal to not to put the little creachers back in the water but I must say when my father use to take me fishing he said to me when I first caught on of these toads you can not eat them they are poisions, ( I don't know if they are or not) but we use to throw them back. I still do to this day and this is 40 years ago that my father told me this. So I guess you can say that some people(old farts) do the right thing! I am a stong believer if you can not eat the fish for what ever reason put it back and let it live for another day. Some child who has never caught a fish before would be excited just to get a bite and see what is at the end of the line, I know I was excited but I only hope that they have been told the right thing to put it back, maybe if we all see the kids not doing the right thing if we can all help educate them and other people on the piers and rocks may take note as well. Although I do believe it is how we approach other people may be the problem, our tone of voice if we are angry will not help the situation, so I guess if we calmly and quietly spoke to the person and explained in a calm quite voice then there woul be no reason for angy fisherman on the pier, maybe ask the person do they want the fish and say the reason you are asking. A lot of people may not know you have to return the pore little fellas. :r

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:10 am

:whoh: are you serious? :whoh: If you drop food in front of them, they will eat it. You entered their domain so dont complain if you dont like the experience. But then again, you may be just trying to stir the pot to get the topic active. :Blah:

I use Berkley Gulp most of the time and gram for gram this thing is probably at least 100 times more expensive than pippies. I always lose the tail portion of my lure to toadies but I don't complain. Look at the pictures I posted and take note of the 4 inch minnow the adorable toadie tried to chew (until it got foul hooked). That is almost $1 worth. In my last trip, I lost about 6 of them on toadies - all part of fishing.

Long live the toadies! :lolf:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Beno

Post by Beno » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:51 pm

Fish-cador wrote:these toadies deserve to live. I let them go. How can they kill something this adorable. I caught this one last friday and lived to tell the tale.

I remember a couple of years back in St Kilda pier, I caught something like this as well, I was trying to pick ip up carefully so I can return it to the water but I was unable to. It was full of water so I turned to get the wash cloth I was using. Suddenly, a young man who was with some nice young ladies kicked the fish like a soccer ball. Before I can grab it back, he stabbed it with a folding knife several times to deflate the poor fish. I cant believe what I saw. I cant fully remember what I said but it was in the line of "do you think you impressed someone by what you did?" then I turned towards the young ladies who quietly walked away. Idiots really are everywhere. :angry:

Last time I went to Rye pier, I saw a big toadie gasping on the pier next to an old fart. I picked up the toadie and chuck it back in the water. You should have seen the look of the old anglers when they saw me do it. One even commented " why did you put it back? I will catch it again". I said "if you catch it again, call me and I will buy it from you for $100". :cussing:

I can't get over how cute this porcupine fish is :grin:

j.dammo

Post by j.dammo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:52 pm

if pipi's cost too much try switching to chicken breast, i always get a better result using chicken.
i have been seeing the poor fish being left out of water to die by many careless anglers.
i remember as a child going fishing at altona pier the older men always used to tell me that throwing them back will poison the water.
now thinking to myself thats a great way to teach the younger generations to be proper anglers.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”