Killing Toadfish for no reason

did you know it was illegal to kill toad fish in victoria waters if not eating them

Poll ended at Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:38 pm

Yes
44%
No
56%
unsure of the rules as the fishing guide has it tucked in the back of the book and i didn't get that far
No votes

Total votes: 16

socrates6666

Re: Killing Toadfish for no reason

Post by socrates6666 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:45 pm

are toadies dangerous to touch?

johnat24

Post by johnat24 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:49 pm

socrates6666 wrote:are toadies dangerous to touch?

No

cantevencatchacold
Has liked: 30 times

Post by cantevencatchacold » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:58 pm

Brett wrote: Myself, I usually just pick the poor little fellas up(if they are still alive) and throw them in the water infront of the idiots that caught them, you get some wierd looks but, that's about it.
You obviously haven't done this in front of the Greek guy at the corner of Flinders Pier, or the Italian guy at Sorrento Pier. They come leaping up and down in your face.

johnat24

Post by johnat24 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:14 pm

cantevencatchacold wrote:
Brett wrote: Myself, I usually just pick the poor little fellas up(if they are still alive) and throw them in the water infront of the idiots that caught them, you get some wierd looks but, that's about it.
You obviously haven't done this in front of the Greek guy at the corner of Flinders Pier, or the Italian guy at Sorrento Pier. They come leaping up and down in your face.
A short right hook normally puts paid to that!!

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:00 pm

People who kill fish simply for taking there bait are sad f***ers, have no place being anglers, and should be banned from fishing. Hard to enforce I know, but true.
Carl.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:24 pm

Anglers should respect their catches regardless of species , as they are all of God's creatures & deserve to live if not going to be used for food etc & not to be wasted & left to Rot in the sun etc .

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:29 pm

cantevencatchacold wrote: You obviously haven't done this in front of the Greek guy at the corner of Flinders Pier, or the Italian guy at Sorrento Pier. They come leaping up and down in your face.
I come from a European background & these old farts or young @ that , have no place in todays Rec fishing . i might be somewhat old school in some of my ways , but i hate the old school fishing mentality of "cricket score catches & keep under size fish or kill unwanted fish species & let them Rot etc etc . smh

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:49 am

when i was growing up my grandfather taught me how to fish and hunt. the number one rule he had that he pounded into mine and my brother and cousins heads was to never kill anything you are not going to eat. he caught my brother shooting a crow with a pellet gun when we were kids and spanked him for it. i believe thats the only time my grandfather ever got mad at any of us kids. i had a lot of fun going fishing and hunting on camping trips with him as a kid and as a young adult. i learned a lot from him and still will never kill anything unless im going to eat it. or use it to catch something else to eat lol. for people that say that toadies have no purpose i caught a snapper that had one in its belly. i've caught gummys with toadies in their bellies. so they do have a purpose just like any other member of the food chain. ive also seen people throwing small mullet on the banks at mordi creek because they didnt want the small ones to get back on their hooks. any time i see someone putting fish on the pier that they obviously arent going to keep i just walk over and throw it back in. simple and effective. they usually ask why did you do that and i show them in the dpi handbook that it is illegal to leave them there to die.

cantevencatchacold
Has liked: 30 times

Post by cantevencatchacold » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:59 am

johnat24 wrote:
cantevencatchacold wrote:
A short right hook normally puts paid to that!!
That's as may be but I don't go there anymore. Life is too short to waste on people like these.

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:02 am

Didnt realise that toad fish could be such a controversial topic. Yes they are a pain in the arse but im not one that kills them or leaves on the pier to die. Straight back in they go. And what other fishos do to them is wrong. End of story. Can we move on now?? :bolt:
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”