Saturday 10th or Sunday 11th Morning Trip

CanuckDownUnder

Saturday 10th or Sunday 11th Morning Trip

Post by CanuckDownUnder » Thu May 08, 2014 4:17 pm

After 2 long weekend camping trips full of freshwater donuts (they don't taste any better than salty ones, trust me) and last weekend gone by without getting a line wet, I need a good saltwater sesh this weekend. My goal is to catch my first regulation size flathead but who am I kidding I'll be happy with a banjo at this point!

Anyone heading out this weekend? Looks like mornings will be better than evenings.

On a side note - I used to look up tides, sunrise/sunset, wind reports, moon reports, all on different websites. I've realised that what I'm doing is actually much like solunar but I include wind. If you don't use solunar, I recommend it http://www.tides4fishing.com/au/victoria/melbourne is a good site for it. *I have no ties to this site I just found it and thought they deserve a shout out*. It's not perfect and like anything in life, nothing is certain, but it's a pretty good way to see a few important elements at a quick glance.

I'm not fussed where to fish, when I add up all the reports on piers from Webb Dock to Brighton breakwater they all have good days and bad. Although Bomber KILLED IT last week at the breakwall so I might be leaning down that side of the bay.
"Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn't go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks." - Jeff Foxworthy

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Saturday 10th or Sunday 11th Morning Trip

Post by Nude up » Thu May 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks for that I haven't come across that site looks good

Jamrancid

Post by Jamrancid » Fri May 09, 2014 11:21 pm

Heading to lagoon pier saturday morning at sunrise (tomorrow).
Hoping there is still a few snapper or flatties around to keep us busy.

kenenjee

Post by kenenjee » Sat May 10, 2014 12:27 pm

If http://www.tides4fishing.com/au/victoria/melbourne" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; works even averagely well, it'll certainly give all of us a lot of unnecessary frustration. Nevertheless thanks for pointing me to this site, great reading too. cheers.

CanuckDownUnder

Post by CanuckDownUnder » Wed May 14, 2014 10:43 am

Well I hit Brighton on Sunday, there for sun-up and stayed until 1pm. The bells were jingling for the first hour, but no hook-ups - I could picture tiny snapper pecking at the squid and pilchard just enough to move my rod but not enough to set a hook.

Anyway, after so many baby bites, eventually something bit the hook. I got it set and felt so good to have a fish on for the first time in a while. It didn't feel massive but I was picturing a 35-40cm Snapper, definitely a keeper and it felt like a bit more. As I got it in close, I saw a couple pink flashes but felt a bit concerned because it didn't look as big as it felt. Up to the rocks, it was barely over 20cm! I was so disappointed I threw it back without even taking a photo.

That was around 8:30, after that I only had a couple more small bites, not a sniff of anything else. I was also whipping around squid jigs with no luck.

It was a nice feeling to land a fish after a pretty long drought, but all in all it was another one of those trips that has me aching to get back out there and catch some real ones.
"Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn't go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks." - Jeff Foxworthy

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed May 14, 2014 5:05 pm

Good luck mate! Keep at it and youll get that big one. The little pinkies really give an account for themselves hey. Hehe

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”