What makes a better angler?

Fishing Victoria is always open to suggestions to improve the forums for you.
Post any questions, bugs, suggestions and feedback about the site here.
frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: What makes a better angler?

Post by frozenpod » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:57 pm

I will keep it in mind next time I am fishing for them but so far in my experience it hasn't made any difference.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Some very good advice above. Only one thing I would like to add to the list of 'what makes a good angler' and that is to be considerate of other fishos. For instance, don't impede fellow anglers by crowding them if they are having some luck and you aren't. Whilst being considerate of others may not increase your catch, I'm positive that good fishing manners does make a good angler!
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

davjak
Has liked: 13 times

Post by davjak » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:12 pm

I went out on a charter 5am Sunday and this 1 dude turns up late, we don't find out that he has a banana in his bag until we are 20min out to sea and he starts eating it..

I'm new to fishing and have been warned about it on multiple occasions.. this bloke was oblivious to it all (my mate wanted to throw him overboard)

Any ways, only 2 small snapper caught on the day, whilst a few of us caught a few flathead on smaller rods..

davjak

Post by davjak » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:15 pm

I think the 1 true measure of a good angler is experience, I'm so new to it, I take in everything I am told and see .. I'm learning at least 3-4 things every time I go out.. The best thing is this site.. I've looked up places I am fishing, targeting and what to use.. Just the other day I went to a lake and knew I was targeting trout and redfin.. I was proud of myself to say I caught a redfin on a piece of corn .. like I was some kind of expert.. LOL

Without a site like this, I would definitely have no clue sometimes on what where and how to catch fish, I appreciate all the advice :)

shazzagraz

Post by shazzagraz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:36 pm

davjak wrote:I went out on a charter 5am Sunday and this 1 dude turns up late, we don't find out that he has a banana in his bag until we are 20min out to sea and he starts eating it..
What's wrong with bananas?

davjak

Post by davjak » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:49 pm

I'm not 100% sure myself, I just heard it a lot ..
One the charter I heard it has something to do with years ago transporting banana by ships and bad luck..
Someone else also said eating a banana transfers to the bait and fish hate bananas..
I'm not sure what to believe .. What I do know is that I don't like bananas so its not an issue either way :)

davjak

Post by davjak » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:54 pm

If you look on google .. various answers come up..

one such answer is :
1 is about transporting bananas and they overloaded the boats and they sank
leaving a floating trail of bananas on the surface ..

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:42 am

Berto Pescatore wrote:While your question Psara1 sounds funny, but it is actually valid one, so many anglers don’t know these stuff.
When I had my boat, which just sold last summer, I used to keep the bream (that I catch and going to release back) alive, and release them unharmed a bit further down when I move from this spot.
Actually, this tip is not applicable on all spices, but it is still preferable if you can, most the experience anglers will agree on this … some spices like Bream will stop biting as soon as you release one back, unless you keep moving … and some other spices like Salmon if you bleed them in the water you fish they stop biting as well … try it yourself
Er, nope, I`ve bled plenty of salmon into the water direct in front of where I`m fishing....good berley TBH...never seems to put them off the bite..an old trick Jason at total tackle taught me was to snap them, then put them in a mesh berley bag staked out just in the wash in front of where your fishing. Bleeds them and de-scales them in one..
Carl..

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:50 am

-Don’t talk loudly, don’t scream, don’t put radio or laud music (unless using headphone),
Sound waves from the air, are not transmitted to the much denser molecules of water. The surface of water acts like a sound barrier and reflects sound waves travelling though the air.

However dropping for example sinkers in the hull of a boat will transmit sound through water.

don’t splash the water while fishing, because this all scare the fish and make them run away.
That is true for some species of fish.

Berto Pescatore

Post by Berto Pescatore » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:32 am

For the banana part:
To be honest, I did not hear of any science proven study proves that the banana puts the fish of biting, but you find is old superstitious stories traded among anglers over ages, but the funny part is it happens, and many boat owners and fishing charters make it sounds like a big deal.
I personally do not bring banana to any on my fishing or camping sessions, not because of the bad luck part, but firstly I am not a big banana eater, and if it kept for long enough, it goes black and smells all other food around it … maybe it just me :)

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”