What makes a better angler?

Fishing Victoria is always open to suggestions to improve the forums for you.
Post any questions, bugs, suggestions and feedback about the site here.
Berto Pescatore

Re: What makes a better angler?

Post by Berto Pescatore » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:40 am

As for bleeding the Salmon in the same spot you are fishing, while it could be a good burly for other species like Gummies / snapper / Groper … etc. but for sure it puts the Salmon off biting; it will be clearer and more experienced if you boat fishing, because in this case you will be probably dealing with the bigger and older fish; but if you are talking about the schools of the baby salmons 21 – 30 cm, then it won’t make a big difference as they usually comes in big numbers and they just get hooked in way or another.
Otherwise, you must have a very good luck CarlG to get them hooked anytime anyway :)

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:11 pm

davjak wrote:I'm not 100% sure myself, I just heard it a lot ..
One the charter I heard it has something to do with years ago transporting banana by ships and bad luck..
Someone else also said eating a banana transfers to the bait and fish hate bananas..
I'm not sure what to believe .. What I do know is that I don't like bananas so its not an issue either way :)
Berto Pescatore wrote:For the banana part:
To be honest, I did not hear of any science proven study proves that the banana puts the fish of biting, but you find is old superstitious stories traded among anglers over ages, but the funny part is it happens, and many boat owners and fishing charters make it sounds like a big deal.
I personally do not bring banana to any on my fishing or camping sessions, not because of the bad luck part, but firstly I am not a big banana eater, and if it kept for long enough, it goes black and smells all other food around it … maybe it just me :)
Bananas being badluck on boats dates back to ancient times when boat voyages werent ppb daytrips but traversing oceans and across to new continents and countries. These journeys required massive supplies of food especially fresh fruit and vegies(remember they didnt have freezers back then :shocker: ). It was often found that when bananas were kept with other fresh produce, they would all reach ripening quicker and deteriorate. The reason for this is that bananas produce ethylene gas which accelerates ripening in many fruits and some vegetables. Scurvy(a disease which results from a lack of vitamin c) was prevalent on long boat jouneys(they didnt have multivitamins either) and was the blight of many longtem seafarers. Hope this sheds some light on an old wives tale...
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:01 pm

shazdoggg wrote:
davjak wrote:I'm not 100% sure myself, I just heard it a lot ..
One the charter I heard it has something to do with years ago transporting banana by ships and bad luck..
Someone else also said eating a banana transfers to the bait and fish hate bananas..
I'm not sure what to believe .. What I do know is that I don't like bananas so its not an issue either way :)
Berto Pescatore wrote:For the banana part:
To be honest, I did not hear of any science proven study proves that the banana puts the fish of biting, but you find is old superstitious stories traded among anglers over ages, but the funny part is it happens, and many boat owners and fishing charters make it sounds like a big deal.
I personally do not bring banana to any on my fishing or camping sessions, not because of the bad luck part, but firstly I am not a big banana eater, and if it kept for long enough, it goes black and smells all other food around it … maybe it just me :)
Bananas being badluck on boats dates back to ancient times when boat voyages werent ppb daytrips but traversing oceans and across to new continents and countries. These journeys required massive supplies of food especially fresh fruit and vegies(remember they didnt have freezers back then :shocker: ). It was often found that when bananas were kept with other fresh produce, they would all reach ripening quicker and deteriorate. The reason for this is that bananas produce ethylene gas which accelerates ripening in many fruits and some vegetables. Scurvy(a disease which results from a lack of vitamin c) was prevalent on long boat jouneys(they didnt have multivitamins either) and was the blight of many longtem seafarers. Hope this sheds some light on an old wives tale...
That's why they say don't put bananas in the same fruit bowl as other fruits :victory:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”