Computers?

Fishing Victoria is always open to suggestions to improve the forums for you.
Post any questions, bugs, suggestions and feedback about the site here.
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Computers?

Post by Scraglor » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:58 pm

If ur after parts, I use MSY, they seem to be cheapest, CPL(Computer parts land) and Scorptec seem to be worth a visit too

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:05 pm

as and aside, I have no idea about video editing, or software. But I would imagine that get as much CPU power, RAM and GPU power as you can. Probably worth bumping the RAM to 32gb for a video editing machine. Also, most standard gaming machines will be running 2166mhz RAM, I would look into upgrading the mobo so you can run a higher speed RAM too.

As with all things it depends on how serious you are. If you just dabble in it, then a second PC might get you through, but you wouldnt want to be doing much more than word processing and basic editing, or you will be looking for a new PC very shortly.

IMO, you're best off future proofing and buying the best PC your budget will allow.

snapperslayer

Post by snapperslayer » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:46 am

Let's keep it simple.

Adobe Premiere: For cutting/joining exporting videos. Has plugins for colour grading & correction. Adding/animating Text and basic graphics. Pretty much all you need at the moment.

GPU
GPU is going to help you render a video much faster and using colour correction tools smooth as butter.
You will know what I am talking about once you start editing videos.

Get a second hand, cheap as chips. I use 570 GTX and does the job, but 680 GTX would be perfect. Mind you not all GPUs are supported so make sure you buy the approved ones. Google Approved list of GPUs for Adobe Premiere.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780

List goes on...

Get a 680 Gtx used, you would be looking at $65-100 max.

Just to give you an idea, here are the specs of one of my very old system which I built back in 2009 and surprisingly it handles everything just fine. Unless you want to edit 4k videos but that's a different beast.

CPU: Core i7 950 first gen (used roughly $50 or so)
RAM: Corsair XM3 DDR 3 1600MHZ - 12GB
GPU: 570gtx ($50 buck or so)
SSD: 256GB ssd + 2tb western digital cavier black hardrive.
PSU: Cooler Master 650W
Mobo: Asus P6x58D premium

Hope it helps

pwalnuts

Post by pwalnuts » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:05 am

1000-1200w PSU is way over what you'd need, 600-800w is heaps.
Tackleberry, sounds like your laptop is full of dust or one of the cooling fans is rooted, maybe both.

mingle

Post by mingle » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:16 am

I used to build my own systems for a long time, then I started buying ex-lease 'name-brand' machines (Lenovo and Dell are the best).

I currently run 2 x Dell Optiplex 960s (Quad-core Q9600, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD) with 1920x1200 screens. Picked up each one for
$100 on ebay (screens were an additional $90 each). Been running both systems for more than 12 months (WIndows 10-Pro 64-bit
and Linux Mint 17.3).

Certainly not top-spec machines by anyone's standards, but both have been rock-solid. I do a fair bit of photo editing and a some
video work and don't have any real complaints about the speed. Sure, I could build a faster machine that would cut the video-rendering
time in half, but it would also cost me 10x as much!

Cheers,

Mike.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:04 pm

pwalnuts wrote:1000-1200w PSU is way over what you'd need, 600-800w....
He will run a portable fridge on the side...

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:00 pm

snapperslayer wrote:Let's keep it simple.

Adobe Premiere: For cutting/joining exporting videos. Has plugins for colour grading & correction. Adding/animating Text and basic graphics. Pretty much all you need at the moment.

GPU
GPU is going to help you render a video much faster and using colour correction tools smooth as butter.

Get a second hand, cheap as chips. I use 570 GTX and does the job, but 680 GTX would be perfect. Mind you not all GPUs are supported so make sure you buy the approved ones. Google Approved list of GPUs for Adobe Premiere.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780

List goes on...

Just to give you an idea, here are the specs of one of my very old system which I built back in 2009 and surprisingly it handles everything just fine. Unless you want to edit 4k videos but that's a different beast.

Hope it helps
I have a GTX 570 you can have sitting in my cupboard. It cant push hard enough for current games to really be that good, but if its good enough for you I have the following I have pulled out of my old PC ur welcome to have;

old i7 CPU
ASUS mobo
Thermaltake case
GTX 570 GPU - possibly 560, I cant remember.
8gb ram (possibly 16gb) I cant remember

You will need a PSU, HDD,etc if ur feeling like building a computer from those parts, you can just have them. It was working a week or two ago, but I really want a system that can sit on 60fps solid with games.

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:01 pm

snapperslayer wrote:Let's keep it simple.

GPU

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780

List goes on...

Hope it helps
Edit, double post. Seriously tho, if ur planning on running games, build a new PC, for $1600-$1800 you can build a beast of a PC

For comparison

CPU: Core i7 6700 - $420 ish
RAM: 16gb DDR4 - $100
GPU: 8GB 1070 (Crazy Fast, VR Ready): $600-$700
SSD: 500gb SSD - $160
PSU: $100 ish
Mobo: Asus/Gigabyte/MSI: $150-$200
Case: $100-$150

Thats a pretty top end system, that will eat any of the budget PCs listed here for breakfast. I suggest the Fractal Design R4 case, its acoustically insulated, so its dead silent while running, and can run battlefield on ultra at 100fps, with no noise.

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:09 pm

just bite the bullet last week and went into CPL @ Notting Hill for a new system - wanted to build my own but was just way too many variables so gave up the idea!!

Was given a quote for two system - one at the standard specs and the other one is for video editing. Given video editing will be the norm for future usage, went for the high end spec costing around the $1,600 - i7 6700 CPU / 16GB RAM / 240G SSD / 1TB hard disk / 6GB graphic cards / Win10 OS. Probably will last me for the next 5+ years (touch wood!!).

Will pick up the new system sometimes this week so can't tell you what's the difference will be but can't be any worst than this 6 years old system!!! :)

Good luck with your search Abzz and Tackleberry!!

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Post by Tackleberry » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:22 pm

i know i'm hijacking this thread but.......

all i need is a comp that i can load 58min of 720p vid off my cheapy gopro like cameras and edit it

down to the good 10 20 or 30 min vid and if it will save it after i edit it in 20 mins or so without

chucking a wobbly and shutting down i'll be happy .
pwalnuts wrote:1000-1200w PSU is way over what you'd need, 600-800w is heaps.
Tackleberry, sounds like your laptop is full of dust or one of the cooling fans is rooted, maybe both.
nope that fan just won't run at full speed for some reason but after it shuts of and i restart it it will

for about 15 secs and then it just go's back to just limping along .

the fan is just a lazy p**** :rofl:
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”