Is this site becoming redundant?

Fishing Victoria is always open to suggestions to improve the forums for you.
Post any questions, bugs, suggestions and feedback about the site here.
dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Is this site becoming redundant?

Post by dazz999 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:26 pm

pics are easy i just use windows live photo gallery

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:59 pm

I normally just resize them on my phone before i post them but gets annoying sometimes so if theres away of doing them faster im for it as.long as s9me one explains it to me

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:36 pm

davek wrote:
Brett wrote:I’ll try and get one up over the weekend
So will I but the result will be the same, ;-) cheers davo
There's a pill for that now
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:10 pm

I think it's just that there are more alternatives out there now so niche forums all over the place are shrinking to a certain extent; but I don't think demand for places like this will dry up entirely. Facebook fishing groups have a different kind of culture, they seem to attract a lot of people who are happy with a quick and dirty answer to any questions, and don't want to invest time, effort and money into being better fishermen. There are some exceptions of course and a few people there who go to a lot of effort putting up videos and informative responses, but by and large I get the impression that the regulars on FB are there for a short time and contribute little more than white noise comments.

Compared to that, the forums I'm on seem to have a smaller number of members but those that contribute are much better informed and put much more effort into their fishing, and more effort into the forum community by way of reports and helpful comments. I think the forums that have faded away in the past have had more to do with politics than the death of forums as a category of social media, except for Breammaster who apparently all died of AIDS. Meanwhile, out of curiosity I just had a look at Fishraider and that has reports going back to 2004, although it isn't as active as this forum today it still has regular posts.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:18 pm

4liters wrote:
davek wrote:
Brett wrote:I’ll try and get one up over the weekend
So will I but the result will be the same, ;-) cheers davo
There's a pill for that now
:rofl:

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:05 am

Mattblack wrote:Is this site becoming redundant because of the array of new forms of social media available?
Interested in any opinions on the matter, and where is the next best place to discuss Victorian fishing if not here?
Personally, there is a huge amount of information on this site, if people bother to search for it.

Have you ever tried to search for information on social media, it is a real pain to do it. Sure farce book can give you instant feedback and instant information, but unless you save it, trying to find information again is really difficult,

Sure the original Fishing Vic has gone, then this one took it's place. I think having multiple platforms like a face book page as well as this site is good, but it also becomes more complicated, because this is not a commerical site.

There numerous fishing sites on FB, but they generally concentrate of one specific area or species, like the squid forums for example, then there are etc area specific, that may only cover PPB or WPB, ninety mile beach. etc.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:05 am

FB is just to put up brag photos. Forums like this are for discussions on a wide range of topics and often with vigorous debate. This forum will last as long as there are people who wish to contribute to discussion. I have ditched most of my FB groups because of the bull that is put up by haters. I find this a much better place to listen and discuss.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:21 am

Brett wrote:Image size keeps coming up as a turn off to posting pic on this site.

What I do, is create an album on Facebook, upload the images there and then link them to here, Facebook resizes and removes any identifying data of the location. You don’t need to copy or save the image back to your pc( unless you want to ) just use the image link and paste it here.
Once you get used to it, it takes no time at all.
And for people without fb?

skouta

Post by skouta » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:41 am

No I don't think it's becoming redundant. Winter is done and dusted so hopefully more people can get out on the bays and start fishing...
"I only caught one - the rest surrendered"

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:38 am

Its a great site for a whole lot of reasons
  • the banter is good
    lots of knowledge shared - just need to go looking for you want
    deals are put up from retailers across Melbs
    Bowl gets out & shares the mid week status
    Meptass gets out & shows us all how good Tas is
    there's more to fishing than bream Purple5
    the central vic guys catch a lotta carp & a few cod
    we're coming out of winter - a few more reports will start coming thru
    ask any question & you'll get lots of opinions
    Mods & crew do a great job managing the banter & content
    ..........& lots more

Compared to a few other sites, this one's pretty dam good & for a premium membership its dirt cheap value. Keep up the good works Mods. :a_goodjob:
quid est quod eum

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”