Finally Big Red on 3mtr deep water - awesome fight

viclovesfish

Re: Finally Big Red on 3mtr deep water - awesome fight

Post by viclovesfish » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:08 pm

Master-pro wrote:cannons creek? if im close pm me lol, nice fish dude! :victory:
Ah good idea, never been there I will try that spot too.... but no...not that way.. the other way...
I don't have problem posting here, to be fair and help fello fisho.. as I use to read updates here to get some idea where to go... so I think its just fair to share than just looking and gathering info....

If you like motogp your in the right direction.... that's the last clue for sure u now know the place....
But of course fish move.. maybe there yesterday tomorrow gone... have a coffee and relax...

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:31 pm

Well done, great report, looking forward to the next one!

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:53 pm

Btw if its shark you're after you don't need live bait. Try a whole side fillet of mullet or salmon or trevally. Big hooks, wire leader or > 80lb mono. The big shadow could also be a Jewie.
Which part of the tide did you get the snapper on?

viclovesfish

Post by viclovesfish » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:29 pm

kaotay wrote:Btw if its shark you're after you don't need live bait. Try a whole side fillet of mullet or salmon or trevally. Big hooks, wire leader or > 80lb mono. The big shadow could also be a Jewie.
Which part of the tide did you get the snapper on?
Willy weather says hitide is around 11 pm in the area last night but got it arround 8pm, so water is still shallow... just a warning as well so many mosquitoes.. the mosquitoes is even bigger that the hook I got the snapper... could it be another giant Mullet.. how big does a mullet grow anyway.. the shadow looks like in above 100CM long... I dont think it is even 3M deep maybe just 2Mdeep really shallow..

I am going to another spot on Friday night.. and hopefully some good reports...

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:55 pm

Interesting, quite a few big ones caught in shallow water in low-ish tide phases lately. Even in the middle of the day in 2-3m at low tide.
Your giant mullet sounds like a Jewie to me. I'd love to see you catch it. Sliding rig with a live mullet on one rod, paternoster with fillets on the other. Size 5-6/0 hooks. And bring Aerogard!

brynyboy1

Post by brynyboy1 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:28 pm

great post great catch i cant wait till i get the thrill of catching a big red !!!!

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Nice work. I think I'm more impressed by the sea mullet, no disrespect to your fine snap. Had one like that flying around eating my burley one day and reckon they'd give a great fight on light gear.

azkay

Post by azkay » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:27 am

That is a big Mullet. Great Work on the red aswell. Congratulations! :)
Az.

viclovesfish

Post by viclovesfish » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:11 am

Thanks guys... I driven there last night after dinner, with my 30LB braid 8ft rod this time.. just in case that shadow comes back..... this time i'm after the big one .. not mullets.. so rig whole pilchard and cast where I've seen it b4... mates came with some beers .. no bite until about 9-30ish with a beer on the other hand and chatting with my mates ........the Rod bend.. my friend shouted pointing to the Rod... i was stupid I forgot to put bell.. rod is already half bent...when I look back.. before I dropped the beer and pick up the rod.. fish is gone... Frustrated and angry at my self for not putting the bell... waited for another 3 hours hoping for it to come back now focusing my attention to the Rod.. there was some lightning and nothing.... probably fish got scared...so yeah.. no success last night guys...
But we are heading out on Friday somewhere in WP

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Post by Fishbref » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:26 am

Well done. Damn, what a monster mullet! Mullet fillet... mmmmmm

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”