Hastings this Sunday 22/01

Fahro

Hastings this Sunday 22/01

Post by Fahro » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:56 am

Hi all,

Looking to hit up Western Port for the 1st time on my own boat. Will be launching Hastings, if all goes to plan, we should be on the ramp by 0530.

Not looking for GPS marks, just after some pointers in the area being a newbie.

Haven't had a great snapper season (only managed to bag 3 around 3kg mark) due to not being able to get out all that often (new born, work commitments etc etc). So i wouldn't mind having a crack at them, otherwise just open to what is productive at the moment.

Cheers in advance

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Hastings this Sunday 22/01

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Its a good idea to remember which channel marker is suppose to be on what side of the boat. If you are using GPS, turn the brightness down.

Ask at Prestige tackle for a fishing report.

Try for snapper just out front of Hastings channel, head north for the whiting or squid on the Tyabb and Quail banks.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:31 pm

I'll be giving it a crack too mate. This time of year I will typically chasing whiting/squid. I have had a bit of a slower year on the whiting than the last couple, so more moves seem to be involved. Good luck!!

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Snapper have slowed right up as they get their jiggy on. The usual places and hope with the chance of a gummy bycatch. Whiting are literally everywhere at the minute. Sizes have come down slightly but they're still legal. Some days they jump in, others a bit of work and good numbers are achievable. Toothies are getting around the shallows if you've got the gear for a good size Bronzie or School shark. Seen a big school of Salmon go nuts in the western entrance last week so they're kicking around and usually good sizes down there. Squid just never disappear. That's about as much of the pulse my finger has hit

Fahro

Post by Fahro » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:27 am

Thanks for the input fellas. Sounds like i might stick to Squid and whiting

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:46 am

Be cautious with the channel and you should be fine. I would stick to the whiting and squid (better eating imho)

Good luck! Take photos and do a report!
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:04 am

We are going to be out there Sunday morning as well and will most likely target whiting and possibly some gummies.

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”