Corinella Pier 9/6/17

mcuzzy

Corinella Pier 9/6/17

Post by mcuzzy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:54 pm

After a putrid couple of days fishing Inverloch and Tarwin Lower and getting absolutely nothing, I decided to have a crack at Corinella.

Reports the night before had me set up for a freezing cold day where I'd be gettin rained on.

Arrived at about 9am and the weather was beautiful. Water flat, sun shining, only a very light breeze.

Was annoyed when I first saw the pier as there appeared to be fishing line all over the place. Turned out to just be those crazy long spider webs.

I had pillies and pippies with me, burley bread crumbs and chopped up pillies. Set the rods up, one with pyramid singer and big hook, the other with ball sinker and smaller long shank hook.

Took ages for me to get a good cast on the new rod/reel as the reel just doesn't cast, the line unravels too slowly so the longest cast I can get is about 15-20m. Not sure how to fix this, it's a bit frustrating.

Toadies galore, heaps of them.

Kept losing bait to toadies over and over again until I ran out at about 1:30pm. I was about to head off home but noticed a squid under a school of toadies.

A bloke who had been jigging was walking back to his car to go home and saw me putting a jig on the line. He laughed, telling me I woudn't catch anything with my bodgey kmart jigs. Not sure what he was using but as far as I know the kmart jigs look very much the same as the ones at the tackle shops.

Anyway, first cast, at the end of the pier and bang, I've nabbed myself a tiny little squid, only just though.

The second cast I got excited cos I thought I got another squid, but was just a toadie that somehow got its tail stuck on the hooks, felt bad for the little knacker.

Unfortunately it was the only thing I caught all day, bloke next to me caught nothing and the kid on the other side of the pier was stoked that he had managed to hook a bicycle at low tide, was hilarious.

Could've been better, but overall I had nothing else to do. It's sadly my best day fishing in a long time, which sums up the luck I've had the past few years.

I'd also be rapt if anyone could give me a few pointers on fishing this spot. I have family friends in the area so I'll be there a bit more often.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Corinella Pier 9/6/17

Post by laneends » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:11 pm

Always had the same result there. Billions of tiny toadies queuing up to hit your bait as soon as it hits the water

Vargs

Post by Vargs » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:58 pm

I have not been able to get away from the toadies land based at Warneet, Corinella or Tooradin. Bought a tinnie to get away from them. I have heard that tougher baits like squid and fillets can help.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:14 pm

What sort of rod/reel was causing you problems?

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”