Effing couta

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Effing couta

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:45 pm

Hosery wrote:
Hmm the esky would want to be looking grim to bring 1 back I recon. Have caught a few monsters 5+ feet that would have a decent fillet on them.
Couta over 5 feet is too small. I don't want to see the mother of that couta.

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:20 pm

4liters wrote:Dad talks about buying big slabs of couta from the fish shop back in the day. Never had an issue with worms in it so I don't know if that is a more recent development.

A question for the people who keep them to eat, what size do you keep to have big enough bones to eat around but not have worms?
any couta under 2 foot are full of small bones. better off as bait. 2 ft and over, the bones are bigger than dinosaur bones and are easily taken out.

mind you a few times this winter ive done what I said I wouldn't do and bought home small couta just to get a feed. Ate 2 or 3 out of the 5 I cooked and fed the rest to the chooks. In hindsight I should of cooked half and kept half for next trips bait...

just love the taste, I always order couta from a fish and chip shop. maybe try that if they have it. A lot of fish n chip places don't sell it now cause young people don't eat fish with bones. On a positive its about 2 bux cheaper than flake at my local and bloody beautiful

HyperX

Post by HyperX » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:02 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
frozenpod wrote: you cant be serious re snapper poor quality table fish.

I rate snapper as good to very good along with flathead, KGW, Gars, Squid ect.
I've never rated Snapper as much of an eating fish - 35 to 45 cm aren't to bad under 35 have little flesh and over 45 start getting dry and tasteless
yes you can stuff and bake larger Snaps but if you have to flavour a fish to eat it catch better tasting fish

I rate Whiting ,Flatties and gars a huge step above snapper
you should try snapper in other countries like japan.
the snapper you catch in melbourne are horrid to even the like of farmed ones from NZ

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:03 pm

Would take whiting or flathead over snapper. But Couta over Snapper nope effing couta is bait or burley.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:30 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
4liters wrote:Dad talks about buying big slabs of couta from the fish shop back in the day. Never had an issue with worms in it so I don't know if that is a more recent development.

A question for the people who keep them to eat, what size do you keep to have big enough bones to eat around but not have worms?
any couta under 2 foot are full of small bones. better off as bait. 2 ft and over, the bones are bigger than dinosaur bones and are easily taken out.

mind you a few times this winter ive done what I said I wouldn't do and bought home small couta just to get a feed. Ate 2 or 3 out of the 5 I cooked and fed the rest to the chooks. In hindsight I should of cooked half and kept half for next trips bait...

just love the taste, I always order couta from a fish and chip shop. maybe try that if they have it. A lot of fish n chip places don't sell it now cause young people don't eat fish with bones. On a positive its about 2 bux cheaper than flake at my local and bloody beautiful
Cheers. I've kept a couple of smaller ones but by the time I'd picked out the bones the meat had gone cold and cold fish is **** to eat.
I had kept a couple of bigger ones but they had worms, and I felt bad turning a nice fish that I'd bled, cleaned and put on ice into burley so I stopped keeping them except one per trip for bait.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:15 am

4liters wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:

Cheers. I've kept a couple of smaller ones but by the time I'd picked out the bones the meat had gone cold and cold fish is sh*t to eat.
I had kept a couple of bigger ones but they had worms, and I felt bad turning a nice fish that I'd bled, cleaned and put on ice into burley so I stopped keeping them except one per trip for bait.
Don't bleed, clean just mince or mulch.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:19 am

rb85 wrote:
4liters wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:

Cheers. I've kept a couple of smaller ones but by the time I'd picked out the bones the meat had gone cold and cold fish is sh*t to eat.
I'd bled and cleaned them with the intention of eating them, only to take a fillet off and find a bunch of worms which meant the whole thing went in the burley bucket. I have enough fish frames to use for burley that killing fish specifically for that purpose is unnecessary.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:51 am

HyperX wrote:
cheaterparts wrote:
frozenpod wrote: you cant be serious re snapper poor quality table fish.

I rate snapper as good to very good along with flathead, KGW, Gars, Squid ect.
I've never rated Snapper as much of an eating fish - 35 to 45 cm aren't to bad under 35 have little flesh and over 45 start getting dry and tasteless
yes you can stuff and bake larger Snaps but if you have to flavour a fish to eat it catch better tasting fish

I rate Whiting ,Flatties and gars a huge step above snapper
you should try snapper in other countries like japan.
the snapper you catch in melbourne are horrid to even the like of farmed ones from NZ
Had plenty from the east gippsland and east coast as well as NZ.

Winter Reds I agree not so good but the new season reds are good.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:42 am

Just use them for bait

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:56 pm

4liters wrote:
rb85 wrote:
4liters wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:

I'd bled and cleaned them with the intention of eating them, only to take a fillet off and find a bunch of worms which meant the whole thing went in the burley bucket. I have enough fish frames to use for burley that killing fish specifically for that purpose is unnecessary.
That's fair enough.

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”