Effing couta

Hosery

Re: Effing couta

Post by Hosery » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:10 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
Hosery wrote:Heaps of couta I've cut the sides off have worms. Never even considered putting them on the table due to that. Normally turn them into a snapper.
The worms cook away to nothing. Not even noticable.
No change to taste either
Hmm the esky would want to be looking grim to bring 1 back I recon. Have caught a few monsters 5+ feet that would have a decent fillet on them.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:44 pm

I wouldn't be eating the worms.

Smaller ones don't have worms and yes there are quite a few bones but the taste is good.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:37 am

If they were coming home they would be going straight in the burley minced

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:12 am

funny thing when I was a kid ( 50 years or so back ) and dear old dad use to take us Surf fishing at Woolamai it was normally fish and chips on the way home at San Remo -- Couta was one of the more popular fish in the day and I still don't mind eating it today

couta is also an excellent bait in fact a couple of seasons back almost all my snapper fell to Couta strips - that season I caught fresh couta on every trip so some turned into bait --

funny how many would turn there nose up at Couta and like to eat a poor quality table fish like Snapper
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:30 am

Dad talks about buying big slabs of couta from the fish shop back in the day. Never had an issue with worms in it so I don't know if that is a more recent development.

A question for the people who keep them to eat, what size do you keep to have big enough bones to eat around but not have worms?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:12 am

cheaterparts wrote:funny thing when I was a kid ( 50 years or so back ) and dear old dad use to take us Surf fishing at Woolamai it was normally fish and chips on the way home at San Remo -- Couta was one of the more popular fish in the day and I still don't mind eating it today

couta is also an excellent bait in fact a couple of seasons back almost all my snapper fell to Couta strips - that season I caught fresh couta on every trip so some turned into bait --

funny how many would turn there nose up at Couta and like to eat a poor quality table fish like Snapper
More people should give couta a try but you cant be serious re snapper poor quality table fish.

I rate snapper as good to very good along with flathead, KGW, Gars, Squid ect.

For reference I rate red emperor, nannygai as excellent.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:57 am

frozenpod wrote: you cant be serious re snapper poor quality table fish.

I've never rated Snapper as much of an eating fish - 35 to 45 cm aren't to bad under 35 have little flesh and over 45 start getting dry and tasteless
yes you can stuff and bake larger Snaps but if you have to flavour a fish to eat it catch better tasting fish

I rate Whiting ,Flatties and gars a huge step above snapper
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:27 am

ive eaten couta once, the only thing that put me off is the amount of bones it had, i like the taste of it though.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:50 am

Similar to Gars lots of bones.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:54 am

cheaterparts wrote:
frozenpod wrote: you cant be serious re snapper poor quality table fish.

I've never rated Snapper as much of an eating fish - 35 to 45 cm aren't to bad under 35 have little flesh and over 45 start getting dry and tasteless
yes you can stuff and bake larger Snaps but if you have to flavour a fish to eat it catch better tasting fish

I rate Whiting ,Flatties and gars a huge step above snapper

I agree big snapper don't eat so well. I find 2.5kg snapper is the perfect eating size. I like to bake them whole in the oven.

If I had anything in the ice box I would release them over 3.5-4kg pending condition of the fish.

I do find snapper require more care than flatties to get the best out of them ie brain spike, bleeding and iceing asap.

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”