Mono or wire trace??

Sinsemilla

Re: Mono or wire trace??

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:22 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
phil1818 wrote:Cheers mate I’ll give it a go, I got some reasonably fine trace that is coated in black I thought this would blend in with the mostly muddy bottom. Might run just a single rod with it as a bit of an experiment along with the rest of my rods running mono see what happens

They can detect the electrical currents given off by the wire, which spooks them. Its a no go mate. Unless you experiment with things like i mentioned, plastic tubing, glow beads over the wire, and limit the amount of metal on show.

Stick with heavy pound Mono, and use Inline circles, not octopus. As well as the correct amount of drag pressure to help your cause of not being bitten off.
I don't think it makes that big a difference. They have been using wire for sharks for years and that's not always nylon coated. The truth of the matter is they might be able to sense the wire but the bait is way too tempting. Sharks chew on motor props.. Completely metal..
As long as you rig and bait properly you wont notice the difference. Think about this.. a 10/0 hook probably has more metal mass than a short piece of wire leader.

Cheers, Anth

phil1818

Post by phil1818 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:31 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
phil1818 wrote:Cheers mate I’ll give it a go, I got some reasonably fine trace that is coated in black I thought this would blend in with the mostly muddy bottom. Might run just a single rod with it as a bit of an experiment along with the rest of my rods running mono see what happens

They can detect the electrical currents given off by the wire, which spooks them. Its a no go mate. Unless you experiment with things like i mentioned, plastic tubing, glow beads over the wire, and limit the amount of metal on show.
You make a very valid point about the hooks being metal
Stick with heavy pound Mono, and use Inline circles, not octopus. As well as the correct amount of drag pressure to help your cause of not being bitten off.
I don't think it makes that big a difference. They have been using wire for sharks for years and that's not always nylon coated. The truth of the matter is they might be able to sense the wire but the bait is way too tempting. Sharks chew on motor props.. Completely metal..
As long as you rig and bait properly you wont notice the difference. Think about this.. a 10/0 hook probably has more metal mass than a short piece of wire leader.

Cheers, Anth

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:34 pm

We all use steel hooks of some type don't we :bite: or is there some secret new release that I haven't come across yet :water:

phil1818

Post by phil1818 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:37 pm

I would be interested to know if the blokes who say don’t use it actually know from experience or just that’s what they have been told or read somewhere?? Sure is a polarising subject

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:48 pm

I use cheap jarvis walker kmart size 6 to 8 suicide hooks snelled on a 60 pd leader of bright blue big fish tournament.
Ive caught big snapper, big gummies, 7 gillers at roughly 12 ft in length, eagle rays, big black rays and huge skate.

Maybe not conventional but i dont get bitten off very often. Ive fished whole squid tubes, whole yakkas and live mullet on this rig.
Its nice to have all the good gear but its not a necessity to have.
Ive just bought 4 5 buck jarvus walker reels from worsteling at his recent sale and hope to use them through the next whiting season. .

phil1818

Post by phil1818 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:07 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:I use cheap jarvis walker kmart size 6 to 8 suicide hooks snelled on a 60 pd leader of bright blue big fish tournament.
Ive caught big snapper, big gummies, 7 gillers at roughly 12 ft in length, eagle rays, big black rays and huge skate.

Maybe not conventional but i dont get bitten off very often. Ive fished whole squid tubes, whole yakkas and live mullet on this rig.
Ive just bought 4 5 buck jarvus walker reels from worsteling at his recent sale and hope to use them through the next whiting season. .
Sounds like it’s a case of play around with different setups and see what lands big fish

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:16 pm

phil1818 wrote:I would be interested to know if the blokes who say don’t use it actually know from experience or just that’s what they have been told or read somewhere?? Sure is a polarising subject
How does it work with long long liners and there 5000 hooks they lay out each set

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:37 pm

phil1818 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:I use cheap jarvis walker kmart size 6 to 8 suicide hooks snelled on a 60 pd leader of bright blue big fish tournament.

Sounds like it’s a case of play around with different setups and see what lands big fish
Thats what i did. I watched a dvd with winga and a mate of his who showed how to snell hooks. I did that on 30 pd leader which i found to be too light. I now use 30 pd as a mainline which back then i thought was insane.
30 pd maxima mainline in a purple colour with my leader i mentioned above and ive caught 7 kg snapper and gummies up to 14 kg..
The 7 giller i caught i estimated at 60 to 80 kgs. It was huge. Not bad for jarvis walker hooks which are 10 bux for 100 hooks i think

phil1818

Post by phil1818 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:57 pm

this is the rig i made up for testing out, approx 700mm of 80lb nylon coated wire crimped to the hook and swivel with a glow bead. should be interesting to see the results compared with the mono
Attachments
IMG_0179.JPG

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:19 pm

phil1818 wrote:this is the rig i made up for testing out, approx 700mm of 80lb nylon coated wire crimped to the hook and swivel with a glow bead. should be interesting to see the results compared with the mono
What are you fishing for? The hook looks really small

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”