Surf fishing M'ton Peninsula

alexdefig

Surf fishing M'ton Peninsula

Post by alexdefig » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:11 pm

Howdy. I just joined up, seems like a really good site :thumbsup:

I used to be a keen fisho, but since buying a house and having a rugrat, i sold the tinny and started going to the fish n chip shop instead ... until a trip to merimbula and a quick muck around off the rocks got us four chunky trevally, and now i can't stop!! .. It's a serious problem. Whenever i get a break from work and the kid i head straight for the water, no matter what the conditions are.

Anyway, we pulled an all nighter 3 weeks ago chasing gummys off the surf, landing 6 salmon to 1kg, and 1 flathead. 2 salmon were filleted and sent back out on big 6/0 rigs, one of which was hit hard but no hook up. We had a visit from a seal who went straight through the gutter we were fishing which didn't help, then i fell asleep on the beach after 1 too many frothys. haha. I'll leave the beer at home next time i think.

I went back by myself at midday last sunday, and with a bit more of a serious approach managed 6 salmon to 1kg in 2 hours, keeping 3 and having them for tea that night, which the missus loved. (If bled straight away, the fillets are pretty good) ... 5 out of 6 fish were on crappy blue kmart poppers which they prefered over whole blue bait, 1/2 pilchards or old salmon fillets. They were crazy once hooked, constantly jumping which was awesome. Conditions were howling nth'ly, rising tide and hot as f#@k! ... Good times :) , I'm hangin out for the next session.

So has anyone had success on whiting or squid lately with an easterly blowing??? I struggle during a strong east wind, but these days I take any opportunity I can get.

Tight lines, Alex
Attachments
3 salmon.JPG
3 salmon.JPG (154.75 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
double hook up.JPG
double hook up.JPG (134.29 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
trevally.JPG
merimbula trevors
trevally.JPG (120.08 KiB) Viewed 1436 times

Mick.S

Re: Surf fishing M'ton Peninsula

Post by Mick.S » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:47 pm

Nice catch....good to see sambos on the run...

If I have been told, when an easterly is blowing, don't bother...but am not sure how true that is and why....I look at it differently, when the opportunity presents if self for me to get out, away from family and kids, I'm out the door, rain/hail or shine :bolt:

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:36 am

good report bud! and great catch!
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Tal-Ponc

Post by Tal-Ponc » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:23 am

Some nice looking Salmon there mate... :thumbsup:
Good things come to those who Bait...

Beno

Post by Beno » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:08 pm

Nice catch mate. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

borntofish

Post by borntofish » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:36 pm

all my fish of recent trips have been easterlies, mt martha rocks perfect for casting long distance, mates been doing well!! i caught all my snapper in easterlies. i used to despise easterlies, now i am learning, i catch fish any wind. we always fish in a boat off mt martha during strong easterlies!!
You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something.

alexdefig

Post by alexdefig » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:15 pm

borntofish wrote:all my fish of recent trips have been easterlies, mt martha rocks perfect for casting long distance, mates been doing well!! i caught all my snapper in easterlies. i used to despise easterlies, now i am learning, i catch fish any wind. we always fish in a boat off mt martha during strong easterlies!!
Hi, Borntofish thanks! It's encouraging to hear things like that, it makes me more determined. I'll give it a crack next time. I've been down there a few times, and actually snorkelled it more than fished it and remember seeing heaps of fish life, huge schools of gars, mullet and whiting swimming around. It's a great stretch of coastline. Makes sense to fish it on an easterly being west facing and sheltered. After a bit of reading around, I'm beginning to think that fishing not-ideal conditions can be pretty successful if you really concentrate on bait presentation, burley, changing position, ect and generally work a bit harder than usual.

Cheers, Alex

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Tue May 01, 2012 11:30 pm

Very nice catch Alex!!

Thanks Borntofish. If I am not forced to work then definitely will be heading out to fish, regardless of the condition. Who knows, that's when you'll land that big one.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Wed May 02, 2012 10:55 am

Welcome to the site Alex ... great report ... and great catch

How this size of salmon managed to bit a 1/2 a pilchard? they must be really ambitious :)

cdrolly

Post by cdrolly » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:01 pm

Wow that's a great day out mate. Great feed there!! Yeah you gotta get back into the fishing :P nothing better than smashing a few on your time off

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”