South Gippsland Fish ID

Caught a fish and you don't know what it is? Ask here...
croe04
Has liked: 161 times

South Gippsland Fish ID

Post by croe04 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:43 pm

I was going through my camera roll and found a video from around mid january of this year of something i got as a by-catch while whiting fishing with my mates in shallow inlet, sandy point. I know its a toadie, but it was massive and nothing like I had seen before. We were consistently catching toadies throughout the day but this one was a different colour, and much, much bigger. I wear a size 10 shoe, which is roughly 25 centimetres, and this thing was easily as long as my foot, most likely longer. It felt like it weighed about two kilos, if not more, and took a lot of effort to haul in. It was so big that it was bending the hook in its mouth like it was copper wire. I could easily have fit three of my fingers in its mouth, and i have no doubt if i did, it would have chomped them clean off. It kept making gurgling noises and gnashing its beak together. I've caught many toadies in my time, but this is was a far cry from the tiny bait stealers that hang around the pylons at your local pier. Is this a different species, or just an old toadfish thats had the chance to grow to gargantuan proportions?

Cheers
Attachments
IMG_1132 copy.png
IMG_1131.jpg
IMG_1130.jpg
Last edited by croe04 on Mon May 06, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denis barden

Re: East Gippsland Fish ID

Post by denis barden » Mon May 06, 2019 2:12 am

Catch these guys that size when out Whiting Fishing not unusual,these guys and Skates always hang around spots that Whiting are in.

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Mon May 06, 2019 6:23 am

Probably diff species but from the same family/genus. Caught few of them in the past on squid jig when I was looking for squids in Clifton Springs. They seem to hang around weed beds.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon May 06, 2019 7:33 am

It’s a type of puffer fish. Not sure of the exact species
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 06, 2019 7:52 am

I have caught these a few times while out fishing for kgw and squid. Also seen them while out spear fishing for flounders/flatties. Like others have mentioned always around weed beds. All the ones I have seen have been quite large in size. A type of puffer fish for sure.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon May 06, 2019 8:22 am

I am going with option D , , , , all of the above.

Here in South Oz, we get those too on similar grounds. Definitely in the puffer family of sorts.

You Victorians can have them all back :tongue:

Return to “Fish ID”