Striped Fish

Caught a fish and you don't know what it is? Ask here...
Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Striped Fish

Post by Aaron75 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:43 am

Caught at Mount Martha rocks this morning on a 1/0 circle hook - it looked tasty but I didn't know what it was, it was quite small so I threw it back...
003.JPG
003.JPG (240.32 KiB) Viewed 1636 times

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Striped Fish

Post by BIG GAV » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:46 am

Looks like a leatherjacket but I will humbly be corrected
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:51 am

Chinaman leatherjacket. They taste amazing if you can manage to catch a bigger one.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Aaron75

Post by Aaron75 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:56 am

Thanks guys! I see there is no minimum legal size for Leatherjackets so I could have taken him home :dinner: ... better safe than sorry though

Haygmbp

Post by Haygmbp » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:54 pm

Ive been waiting for a pic of these guys to.come up. The last 4 times ive been to martha mussel farm these guys have been there in the thousands. Im sure they are not a local species cause never ever seen em before. They are one of the most aggresive fish ive seen and arnt shy. Any bait or lure will get hit by hundreds at a time. Multiple times i hooked a squid and they followed it up. The last time i hooked one i let it sit 1m under the boat and these guys absolutely hammered away. Within 30sec my squid came in almost dead with bite marks and tenticles half gone. What the hell are they!!!

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:22 pm

My brother lost a leg to a horde of these beasts ! he fell outta the boat and by the time we managed to get him back in the boat they chewed off one of his legs ! :whoh:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Haygmbp

Post by Haygmbp » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:14 pm

Heeeeeere we go. Im all for taking the **** but all jokes aside they are aggresive!!!!!. Not sure about a human but any bait you put down is 100% gone......small or large

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:38 pm

Haygmbp wrote:Heeeeeere we go. Im all for taking the p1ss but all jokes aside they are aggresive!!!!!. Not sure about a human but any bait you put down is 100% gone......small or large

Sorry dude just having a bit of fun didn't mean to upset you.. :thumbsup:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Aaron75

Post by Aaron75 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:01 pm

hmmm what size hook should I use if I am using a human leg as bait? :?:

When I took the hook out of its mouth I did notice, for a little dude he had rather a mean looking set of teeth.

I had been trying to catch a flathead with the other rod - I put a soft plastic on and when I pulled it back, something had bitten the tail off it. So I put another SP on, again the tail disappeared. Another one - again no tail. Three casts, three paddletails destroyed. So I put a 20g salmon lure on, muttering to myself "let's see the bastards chomp through this" but got nothing. I was going to post elsewhere asking what could have munched my plastics, but I think I have the answer now.

Next time I find these things I will be ready, now that I know what I am dealing with I will be bringing home a feed of Leatherjacket. :dinner:
fish2802 002.JPG
fish2802 002.JPG (221.36 KiB) Viewed 1488 times

Haygmbp

Post by Haygmbp » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Yep its those bastards destroying your plastics. They are some kind of leatherjacket but not the ones im familiar with from ppb. Id say they dont get much bigger than the one you got. Would be great if someone could id them

Return to “Fish ID”