Anyone know what this is?

Caught a fish and you don't know what it is? Ask here...
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Anyone know what this is?

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:54 pm

Yea I googled yellow prawn goby and it looks a bit different. Sent an email to the marine and freshwater discovery centre.

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:37 pm

It is a species of weedfish, but I don't know which. I am 99% sure that it's in the family Clinidae (which are the weedfishes and snake blennies), and if I had to guess I'd say it's in the genus Heteroclinus (which still contains 25 species...so not narrowing it down too much) but yeah, I couldn't tell you the exact species. But speaking broadly, it's a weedfish. Do you have any more pictures by any chance? Anything else you can tell us about it? Did it have any modified fins/growths that look like they'd be used for camouflage? Whatever species it is, it's super cool...the colour is unreal.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:35 pm

Broomstick wrote:It is a species of weedfish, but I don't know which. I am 99% sure that it's in the family Clinidae (which are the weedfishes and snake blennies), and if I had to guess I'd say it's in the genus Heteroclinus (which still contains 25 species...so not narrowing it down too much) but yeah, I couldn't tell you the exact species. But speaking broadly, it's a weedfish. Do you have any more pictures by any chance? Anything else you can tell us about it? Did it have any modified fins/growths that look like they'd be used for camouflage? Whatever species it is, it's super cool...the colour is unreal.
Well I took a video of it swimming around in my small landing net. I noticed underneath it had 2 white Fidler looking things that looked like legs lol from memory it had 2 on either side underneath. Like I said before, I have been fishing for many many years but have never come across something like this before! :o_0:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:27 am

Just got a reply back from the marine and freshwater discovery centre confirming that the fish is called a Johnstone's weedfish- commonly found in shallow waters around the bay for those who didn't know :)

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:33 am

4liters wrote:Radioactive flathead?
That was my first thought too.

Return to “Fish ID”