whats this fish

Caught a fish and you don't know what it is? Ask here...
rixter

Re: whats this fish

Post by rixter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:48 pm

Brett wrote:Your link refers to fish from QLD, the waters of QLD are no where near as cool/cold as those in Vic. That being said, we don't get the same sort of fish in Vic. Might get similar, but the above fish, in the previous 30+ yrs of my fishing experience have never been known as rock cod, in Vic.
Fair enough , I for sure stated the top pic was NOT a type of rockcod , but the other 2 pics, even though i gave a qld link , look ALOT like the fish we used to get in the ph bay 25-30 years ago, obviously not the qld pic fish , but very similar and were refered to as general rock cod back then. Goole it up enough and you will see a 'Crinodus Lophodon' was once classed in the rock cod 'Lotella Rhacina' family at one stage years ago.
Im not debating , times change , names change and classes they were in, due to so many fish that were placed into one class/speciman of fish etc etc. :cheers: , happy new year everyone , off to party.
Last edited by rixter on Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

rogs
Has liked: 1 time

Post by rogs » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:03 am

dusky morwong also known as Butterfish definitely

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:29 am

the head, eyes and mouth area looks like a rock cale. However, as I said "ït looks like" one - not definite. OK, I will call it a cuttle ish. LOL
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Yep a morwong, not the best eating but ok, you can see the distinct fork in this one.

ecofreak

Post by ecofreak » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:43 am

It should be noted that the rock cale and the dusky morwong share the same genis, Dactylus this is what makes them look similar, I would have called this one for a Dusky Morwong as rock cale will normally have more prominet markings even when dead, if you also have a look at the soft ray fins between the caudal and the dorsal you will see a more difined shape than on the Morwong.

Just saying :crazy:
Regards Paul Carter
Gan Craft Pro Staff
http://www.egikuma.blogspot.com

Return to “Fish ID”