Fish ID; What could it have been?

Caught a fish and you don't know what it is? Ask here...
GummySlayer

Re: Fish ID; What could it have been?

Post by GummySlayer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:16 am

Well, I've had a run similar to that in PPB mate. When we had the boat my dad and myself wentout.. and all of a sudden I had an absolute screamer, dove straight away (Like a snapper) Couldn't turn the fish, then just ran.. about 200metres of my line was gone before I turned the fish.. Then it cut straight through a 60LB Leader. No fray, no wear on the leader.. Just a clean cut.

Things like this will always be a mystery!~

FishSamFish

Post by FishSamFish » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:19 am

raco09 wrote:
FishSamFish wrote:100% not swimming in western port.
Cmon bud, just rub some tuna oil on yourself, and go for a dive. bahahaha :tongue:
I'm already paranoid. No thanks.

And yeah gummy, same thing but as soon as I pulled fish zoomed right and cut. Really odd. Mystery for now.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:29 am

SFP Chick wrote:I reckon it was an Eagle Ray.

I got one on once when out on a charter with Gwayne Blake and he said they are even considered a sport fish now due to their performance.

Amanda :fish7:
my guess Amanda has it right eddie the eagle has struck again prob a bit over a meter wide
tighten the drag up with 40 lb leader on something this big will break it quite easy
FishSamFish wrote: my reel started screaming, and I mean screaming, faster than a big 6kg snapped takes my baits.
Stripped 150 to 200 meters off in a couple of seconds. I tightened my drag and got massive head shakes, and the line shot off to the right, instead of going further away from the boat, changing direction before I could blink.
felt some more headshakes and ping. Line broke.
I had 30lb finns braid and 40lb black magic leader.
The knot didn't break, infact the leader was cut clean through a few inches above where the hook would have been (roughly 5 inches)
here's the give away are far as I can see changing directions before I could blink
eagles pull hard and fast then turn on a dime
the 40 lb leader broke at a guess being the weakest link 30 lb braid would have a higher breaking strain than the 40 lb leader
even more so if the leader got even a small nick in it that nick could happen just on the eagles skin
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

FishSamFish

Post by FishSamFish » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:39 am

Surprised though. I hooked a ray at rye, wingspan large enough it couldn't get under the pier with its wings flat, had to curl them up or go sideways. Diver that was under the pier sized it at 10foot when I spoke to him after. Didn't break my 40lb but I needed to strip 100m off, took me over structure and the line was shredded. He bent the hook flat and i lost him. He actually surfaced. Looked at me and then went off at an inane speed. He looked like a surfboard on the surface. Massive.
Would have to be begged then that to break it like it did. Just from having a huge ray hooked before.
Not saying it wasn't an eagle but it'd be bloody huge..

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Could of been a small great white :shark: lol
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

FishSamFish

Post by FishSamFish » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:39 pm

I need a tiagra 130A and a tcurve 37kg.
The ray at rye at almost max drag + my hand gripping the spool. took half the line on my 15kg outfit before the hook bent.
I hooked up to it and after 10 seconds, I was like;
"well ****. This isn't going to end well, for me. I'm in for a ride, till the line snaps"

FishSamFish

Post by FishSamFish » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:40 pm

Either way I'll settle with monster eagle ray.

GummySlayer

Post by GummySlayer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:47 pm

Could be eating flap soup tonight if you didn't drop that fish, mate! ;)

FishSamFish

Post by FishSamFish » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:53 pm

I don't want flap soup, I like releasing big ones, something about watching it head back down to fight another day, love it.

That was lunch.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:37 pm

FishSamFish wrote:Surprised though. I hooked a ray at rye, wingspan large enough it couldn't get under the pier with its wings flat, had to curl them up or go sideways. Diver that was under the pier sized it at 10foot when I spoke to him after. Didn't break my 40lb but I needed to strip 100m off, took me over structure and the line was shredded.
there's a big different in a stingray and eagle ray in speed and strenth

this one below I caught a couple of W/Es back not a monster but still had some stick
it was on 30 lb line and 80 lb leader and I broke a cheap 10 -15 kg rod

after towing it the the beach in my kayak ( not as easy as it sounds ) it was measured and returned to grow bigger
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Fish ID”