Flathead sashimi

How to prepare and cook your catch.
mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Flathead sashimi

Post by mingle » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:33 pm

hornet wrote:Man discovered how to make fire to cook our food, why people eat raw fish is beyond me, I tried raw fish once ( insert smilie throwing up ) :rofl:
With you all the way - raw fish is definitely an acquired taste (and one that I'm never going to have). Slimy, fishy, cold... Just not right... Doesn't matter how much you cover it with spices or other additives.

I was also put off when I was warned by a doctor friend of the real risk of picking up parasites from uncooked fish. He showed me (in confidence) some photos of a recent victim (contracted parasitic worms eating raw fish while overseas) and it wasn't pretty.

When there are so many far, far better options, go with cooked - steamed, fried, baked, braised...

Cheers,

Mike.

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:41 pm

What if you prepared it with citrus or vinegar? That'd be sushi -- or ceviche -- rather than straight-up sashimi. A few cookbooks I have talk about various techniques for preparing raw fish (other than just slicing it), so I suspect there's a wealth of information online.

ango

Post by ango » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:55 pm

I think some fish are more suited to sashimi than others, I tries a bit of raw snapper once while filleting one, it was basically tasteless, and a bit of mullet which was sort of OK but nothing exceptional, I have not tried flathead but will give it a go when I next catch one. I have tried bonito and trevally and they are great with a bit of soy & wasabi.
Cheers
Ango.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:18 pm

Trevally is by far my favourite sashimi fish. First time I had it was in a random sashimi pack on my Japan trip. asked the chef what type of fish it was, wrote down the name ("shima aji" which literally means striped/zebra mackerel) and translated it by going to the aquarium.

Ever since then I've been testing out other fish raw but still never tried flathead before. Australian Salmon are surprisingly good as sashimi. Have yet to try mullet, leatherjacket, wrasse, perch, bream just to name a few. Have seen leatherjacket served raw in Japan though.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:25 pm

You should just give it a go mate and see what you think yourself :P you never know till you try!

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:30 pm

I'm not sure I could stomache cooked trevally let alone raw trevally after seeing the bug type parasite thingys they always seem to get in their gob

******* yuck

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Those parasites are grotesque!
I once tried ripping one out of a big Trev and couldn’t! His claw like things just latching on so strong. Ended up ripping its head off trying to get it out. Disgusting things.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:29 pm

have y'all tried your fish with a spoonful of concrete? might do you some good

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:50 pm

ChrisTaylor wrote:What if you prepared it with citrus or vinegar? That'd be sushi -- or ceviche -- rather than straight-up sashimi. A few cookbooks I have talk about various techniques for preparing raw fish (other than just slicing it), so I suspect there's a wealth of information online.

1000 points to you. You are very very right.

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”