Smoked Australia Salmon

How to prepare and cook your catch.
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Smoked Australia Salmon

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:56 pm

hornet wrote:Wolly, I still haven't used my smoker I purchased a year ago ! I lost the instructions, actually there were none but some instructions were on the box it came in, the amount of wood chips has me stumped, do I put a thin layer right across the pan or just lumped on top of the burners ? mine has 3 metho burners, I'm still waiting on catching some salmon to try it out ! figures...I buy the smoker and haven't caught a salmon since.
Basically it is a bit of trial and error, but I put enough sawdust to cover the base of the smoker. I use methylated spirits as the heat source and I generally fill the burner half full, once that has burnt out, I then turn the fish over and repeat the process.

Mine uses one burner, I have a larger smoker that came with one burner, which is not enough, and later models came with 2 metho burners.

Wood chips if that are being added to the heat source, need to be soaked in water before adding them directly to the coals,heat beads.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:59 pm

blacklab99 wrote:hey Wolly, What I do, is to smoke 1 at a time. Take the heads off, butterfly them open, skin side down.
You would want it to be smoking for at least an hour plus the way you have them there.
Once the salmon is butterflied open and sitting in the smoker, I sea salt the flesh ( facing up ) then springle lightly
some brown sugar. I smoke it for minmum 30 - 40 minutes. Salmon has to be well smoked ! with the flesh lying open, it insures
it gets fully done. I would never put whole fish in as you have.....
They do not take an hour, but I don't really time it, I go by the look of the fish. I will cut the heads off if they are too large to fit in the smoker.

I found butterflying trout, dried them out too much.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:00 pm

4liters wrote:Where do you get the smokers from?
You can make your own, or buy them from most tackle stores. If you have a webber, you can use that as a smoker.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:02 pm

Cheers, I've been wondering how I can put the sambos to better use than gummy bait.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:26 pm

There are two basic smoking techniques, hot and cold.

The cold method, the smoke is allowed to cool before it gets to the meat/fish. This technique it takes a couple of days to smoke the meat/fish.

The hot smoking method, cooks the meat as well as infusing the smoke flavour to the meat/fish.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:35 pm

4liters wrote:Cheers, I've been wondering how I can put the sambos to better use than gummy bait.
Try them sashimi next time 4liters they are not bad done that way.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:00 pm

poodoo wrote:
4liters wrote:Cheers, I've been wondering how I can put the sambos to better use than gummy bait.
Try them sashimi next time 4liters they are not bad done that way.
Cheaterparts, also pickles his fish.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:31 pm

blacklab99, Wolly and the guy's, thx for the info it helps a lot ! now I'm all fired up to start smoking with confidence, hope I get some salmon soon to try it...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:13 pm

I have some well and truly dried apple branches, just need to turn them into sawdust.

I found cooking freshwater crays on the coals of gum trees adds a very nice flavour to them.

Any wood that has been treated can not be used to smoke fish/meat.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:57 pm

I cover them in salt for 1 hr to draw all the moisture out of them first then put them in the smoker or put them in a brine solution with chillies etc overnight prior to smoking them

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”