Orange roughy

How to prepare and cook your catch.
Speedstick

Orange roughy

Post by Speedstick » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:36 pm

Hey lads and ladies
I usually stick to the main stream types of fish like shark, snapper, flatty ect but bought myself a couple of fillets of orange roughy, any suggestion of cooking technique or flavor selection?
Cheers!

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: Orange roughy

Post by re-tyred » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:45 am

Roughy are firm white flesh with not a lot of flavour. so they tend to be good for chefs who can do them in almost any style they like. Generally I cook that sort of fish rolled in dry coucous and moroccan spice mix.. Very easy just tip half cup or so of couscous in a flat container add a heap of moroccan spice mix. Roll the skinned fillet around in it till it is well coated. Sit on a plate in the fridge for half an hour or more. Then shallow fry it in a hot non stick pan that is hot and has a small amount of cooking oil in it. The outside should end up brown and crusty. This works for most white fish fillets.

A note it is not a good idea to eat the skin of Orange roughy, it has a laxative effect similar to that stuff they give you before a colonoscopy. You turn into something similar to the space shuttle at lift off. :cussing:
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Speedstick

Re: Orange roughy

Post by Speedstick » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks re-tyred
I read ur post after I had cooked it but that sounds great.
I ended with something similar I crumbed the fish and added a mix of Cajun seasoning, paprika, garlic granules, salt and pepper and smashed it up in a mortar and pestle then mix in a slight amount of lemon zest.
Shallow fried with small amount of oil nice and hot and it was really nice.
Im keen to have a crack at the couscous that sound wicked
Cheers!

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”